Thanksgiving Weekend Travels

bdk103

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So my wife and I are thinking about taking our kitten Kiwi with us to Kansas City for Thanksgiving. It's a 5 hour drive, and we will be gone 3 nights, so we didn't want to leave her alone that long. I have a friend that will check on Buffy and Willow every day, but just brief visits. Is this a good idea? What would be the best way to keep her calm in the car? Do you think it will be too much stress for her? If we decide to leave her at home, then we are going to shorten our visit with family. I'd like to hear some suggestions; what would you do for this situation?

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So my wife and I are thinking about taking our kitten Kiwi with us to Kansas City for Thanksgiving. It's a 5 hour drive, and we will be gone 3 nights, so we didn't want to leave her alone that long. I have a friend that will check on Buffy and Willow every day, but just brief visits. Is this a good idea? What would be the best way to keep her calm in the car? Do you think it will be too much stress for her? If we decide to leave her at home, then we are going to shorten our visit with family. I'd like to hear some suggestions; what would you do for this situation?
I had to find your profile in order to find this thread. I think you would be better served to re-post in the original thread where all your followers can see it and more importantly, people can read the thread and see the context which they can't do here.  You can either re-post yourself or ask a Mod to do it for you.

Also its a long thread so it might be helpful for all of us to know why you want to bring Kiwi with you, and why you are concerned that the trip may be hard on her? Has she been in your car much?  Part of it depends on how confident she is in general, and if she's generally nervous about new things then i would advise against it, but you really want a cat sitter to come in twice a day if possible.  The best way in my experience for cat sitting if you can do it is to have someone stay at your place...but that's a personal thing.

Generally speaking Kiwi is probably going to be be happier at home with her cat friends, and if you take her, there is always the possibility of re-introduction issues.  Do you want to take her with her for your comfort or for hers?  If for her then i would at least consider it, but if its more for you I would consider not doing it, especially if i had a good cat sitter.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bdk103

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stephen, I reposted the message so will need a Modertor to delete this thread, I'll send them a message.

I'll respond to your message on the original thread.