Thanksgiving Dinner

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is everyone planning for Thanksgiving Dinner? If you are going to someone else's house for dinner, are you bringing a dish?

I'm thinking of making this: Crispy Cranberry Chicken Will Be Your Go-to Weeknight Dinner This Fall I don't plan on using two onions, much less a whole onion, and will omit the white wine. And just boxed Bell's stuffing mix.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished figuring everything the other night. As far as I know, it will just be Rick and me. I love making T-Day dinner. Lots of leftovers for Thanksgiving weekend. Yum!

Roast Turkey (I think I'm going to try a dry brine this year. Usually I do Alton's Good Eats Roast Turkey, but I need a change)
Crockpot Stuffing (A big thank you to whoever said you can freeze stuffing!)
Party Potatoes (I'll make the gravy the night before and then add turkey drippings while heating it back up)
Ina's Sagaponek Corn Pudding (according to Rick, it's the best corn pudding ever)
Roasted Winter Vegetables (sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and parsnips roasted til nicely caramelized)
Mom's Cranberry Relish
Applesauce
Pumpkin Pie, although I may make a Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (Well, it's actually a butternut squash pie)
A nice blush wine from Shade Mountain

I have everything I need, except for dairy products and the fresh herbs and I'll grab those the week of.
I asked Rick if he wanted the corn pudding or dried corn; he said he would prefer corn pudding.
The Roasted Winter Vegetables leftovers will go into a nice bisque that Saturday night.

All are welcome! Dinner will be at 4:00!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanksgiving plans are still up in the air for me. Several friends are making plans, but they can't seem to firm things up. If I stay home, I'll make a small turkey breast roll and some stuffing (not as good as cooked in the bird, but I need my stuffing) and gravy. Those, along with cranberry sauce, are my essentials of Thanksgiving dinner.

If I go to a friend's place, I might make a pie to take, either lemon meringue or pumpkin.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
What is everyone planning for Thanksgiving Dinner? If you are going to someone else's house for dinner, are you bringing a dish?

I'm thinking of making this: Crispy Cranberry Chicken Will Be Your Go-to Weeknight Dinner This Fall I don't plan on using two onions, much less a whole onion, and will omit the white wine. And just boxed Bell's stuffing mix.
I think I made that recipe last year! It sounds familiar. I stole it from you!

I used 4 chicken thighs, fresh cranberries, light brown sugar, and I do not remember the rest. Have to look it up.

It was good.

I am undecided if I will go to my cousins for TDay. Or if I will stay home.

Not certain. Have to decide now, so I can prepare foods and stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stuffing can definitely be frozen :agree: It's basically just bread and veggies. Mom would always freeze leftover stuffing and take some out on random days throughout the year.

How does crock pot stuffing turn out? Mushy? I'm guessing not with a crispy top like if you baked it in a pan in the oven.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea what I'm going to do but it will just be the cats and me so something simple. Not surprisingly, they just want meat. :lol:

They have no interest in any other kind of people food. We have turkey pretty often. I roast turkey thighs and wings throughout the year and they happily share them with me. They also LOVE steak so I think I'll get a rib eye and grill that up for us. I'll have something very simple on the side like a baked potato and salad or veggie. If I have dessert it won't be anything more than a Lindt extra dark chocolate truffle or two.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I have not been invited for Tday, so planning it at home.

Either a repeat of last year… or a 1/2 turkey breast with either stuffing or potatoes, and drenched green beans—- sautéed in browned bread crumbs. Really good.

Maybe some from the bakery for dessert. And some wjite wine. Nothing elaborate.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work the Friday after Thanksgiving so nothing special. I got used to the day after Thanksgiving off but the new company doesn't give it as a Holiday. I thought about requesting it off but I didn't. A lot of people I have talked to aren't doing anything special. It's like last year seemed to get people out of the habit.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are plans for a family gathering for Thanksgiving. We're beginning to feel hesitant - circa 20 people from several states, adults and children. Clearly not a "pod" and I know there is at least one adult who is not vaccinated. What to do, what to do . . .

If we stay home I think I'll do venison, perhaps a daube in the French style.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a slow cooker cranberry pork chop recipe if anyone is interested in trying that: Recipe: Slow Cooker Cranberry Pork Chops The seared chops and sauteed veggies can go right into the slow cooker. If you're meal prepping ahead of time, then follow the directions for freezing.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A slight change to our dessert for Thanksgiving. Rick loves Junior's Cheesecakes. I surprised him last year at Christmas with a cheesecake. I'm doing it again for Thanksgiving. He found a Tiramisu Cheesecake that he wants, so I ordered it for him. It should (HOPEFULLY!!!!) be here the day before Thanksgiving. And that means, I don't have to make a pumpkin/butternut squash pie. I don't care for cheesecake of any kind, but, then again, I don't really need dessert anyway. And I know he'll be happy with it.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I was at Trader Joes late this morning.. thinking about T-day.. so far, no invitation... not problem. I have been alone in previous years, so I am good with i.. just me and Geoffrey.

I could not decide between a small bone in precooked 1/2 turkey breast from Trader Joes or to remake what I had last year.

Last year, LTS3 LTS3 posted a recipe from Savory, for chicken thighs with fresh cranberry sauce.. It is a variation of what was posted this year...

It was good, a keeper of a recipe. I followed the Recipe last year. I did not use as much onion as the recipe called for.

This year, not sure what herbs I will use. Thinking of using sage, along with some orange zest, fresh juice.. just a tiny bit.... and perhaps scallions instead of onions...
Just thinking.... I know orange goes very well with cranberries.

Kind of a combination of last years recipe, this years recipe and my own variations. It is just me, so who the heck cares...

I do not care for sweets, so the amount of brown sugar will be reduced a bit also... I made some notes from last year, about doubling the sauce, and decreasing the onion.

Last year, I had wild rice and haricot verts to go along with it. This year, I have a frozen rice with mixed T-day veggies---frozen. And I am thinking of the Haricots Verte, (french green beans) again....

The Fresh Cranberry Chicken Thigh Recipe, may be cut in half.. I remember I had 2 too many servings of leftovers.. I guess I could freeze a couple of portions.

For dessert?? I am not sure... maybe 1/2 lbs Italian Cookies, or a couple of small Italian pastries from the bakery, or a blueberry turnover from the bakery... an entire pie is too much for me...

I will spend the day, relaxing, cooking, watching a movie on DVD, or even renting one... It will be a day for Thanks.. Thanks for the parents I had... and appreciation for all the good things which have come in my direction.....

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get a Farmhouse Feast from Bob Evans every year. Comes with...
Slow-roasted turkey, hickory-smoked ham, bread and celery dressing, corn, mashed potatoes with gravy, freshly baked rolls, green beans with ham, cranberry relish, macaroni and cheese, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, double-crust apple pie.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm looking at other recipes in case I can't find the frozen cranberries called for in the recipe I was originally planning to make. I can find fresh cranberries but not frozen.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 If you need frozen cranberries for a recipe and can only find fresh - put the plastic package of cranberries in the freezer and wait. Voila - now you have frozen cranberries. They do not need any blanching or other treatment.

We have definitely decided that we will stay home instead of joining a large group of family for an indoor Thanksgiving feast. So venison it will be. Sides could be wild rice or spatzle, depending on what I take out of the freezer. Probably Brussels sprouts. Braised carrots and baby onions. Dessert still undecided.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise