Thanks for help with feral mom cat!

becki71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody! Thank you for all of your help with the situation I am in. Mom cat is doing well. Her four babies look nice and healthy. Today we had a tiny problem with one baby that had apparently fallen out of the nest box. I had to get to him without mom taking my arm off! I successfully got him back in the box with mom and the others then held my breath hoping that mom was not going to reject him now that I had touched him. She wasn't too happy and smelled him for awhile but luckily he settled down with brothers and sisters and she didn't do anything to him. For a minute there I thought she might kick him out. Hopefully everything will be okay. I have noticed mom cat taking some breaks from the babies. She has been spending some time by herself. I was a bit worried that she might be rejecting them. I have only seen her a few times away from the kittens to eat or poop and she runs right back to them when she is done. So this worried me when she wasn't laying with them in the box like she usually does. Luckily I have had lots of supportive people to talk with and they are sure she is probably just needing a break. I'm totally new to cats and there behaviors....especially wild ones! I'm sure I will learn as I go! Thanks everybody!

Becki

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can always use surgical gloves when you have to handle a kitten. I use them for feral litters as well as when I handle the traps prior to trapping. If you want the mom cat to get used to you touching her. What I do is take an old leather glove and put it on an old yardstick. I spray the fingers with catnip spray and using the glove/stick I start touching the momcat-stroking her gently. If she grabs the glove, just relax and let her have it then gently push it towards her to disengage her teeth and withdraw it-

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Becki..it's great to have you on the site. Please keep us posted on how it goes with mom and kittens.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

becki71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try that! It would be great if she started tolerating a hand in the cage without slapping at it all the time.