Thank You! A Raw Success Story

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
In late fall 2017, the farm sanctuary where I volunteer took in several cats that had been removed from a hoarding situation. They were well socialized and generally healthy, but one of them, Rain, had chronic diarrhea. (She also pees standing up but that’s another story! :)) It wasn’t just loose stool, either; it was completely liquid. This problem went on for months. They tried everything from traditional prescriptions like metronidazole from their regular vet to non-traditional strategies from the holistic vet who helps them. They also tried...kind of...an elimination diet, but since that involved feeding only one flavor of Friskies instead of all of the flavors, that didn’t work. (I did try to explain...) The only time it improved a bit was when she was on metro, but even that didn’t help much.

Based on my reading of others’ experiences here on TCS, I suggested last summer that they try Rain on both S. boulardii and a raw diet. They tried the S. boulardii I gave them. It didn’t help. I know commercial raw is pricey to feed a shelter kitty, so I offered to pay for it for a trial period. The holistic vet offered to sell his stock of Rad Cat to them at cost to help out. They agreed it was a good idea, but I couldn’t get them to take action on it. In the meantime, poor Rain continued to “rain” pure liquid diarrhea. :gaah:

Finally in November they agreed to feed her a raw diet on a trial basis. With their vets’ approval, I made two months of food for Rain using the catinfo.org recipe I use for my own girls. And guess what! Her diarrhea has stopped completely!!! This is the first time in more than a year that Rain has had firm stools. And she LOVES her raw diet. She has had a couple of tiny spells of diarrhea, but it happens when Rain, who is very food motivated and very sneaky, manages to get around a staff member and get to one of the other cats’ food dishes.

They have another few weeks of the food I made, and I’ve encouraged them to try LID foods for her next. It’s too much to expect that a prospective adopter will feed raw, but maybe the staff can find a canned LID food that will work for her. Fingers crossed!

If it hadn’t been for this forum, I never would have known raw might solve this sweet little girl’s problem. For the first time, she has a real shot at being adopted...as long as the new mom or dad feeds the right kind of food...and uses a litter box with very high sides. :)

Here is Miss Rain.
353DD579-FD08-4FD3-A065-6FB1BAC1FD91.jpeg

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're so kind for making her food! And you were so persistent about her care! I basically think of raw as the last resort solution that will work for diarrhea. It's last resort since it's expensive and/or not convenient. But it works!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried her on commercial raw like Stella and Chewy’s? This might be a good compromise if raw is too much for a prospective adopter.

I find most LID foods aren’t worth the ink they used to print the label. Their so called limited ingredient formula is limited to ridiculously inappropriate ingredients. I’m looking at you, Nature’s Variety Instinct with your clay, peas, and cranberries!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
You're so kind for making her food! And you were so persistent about her care! I basically think of raw as the last resort solution that will work for diarrhea. It's last resort since it's expensive and/or not convenient. But it works!
I just couldn’t stand seeing Rain’s problem go on and on and on. Poor little kitty. But the animal care manager seemed to have given up. Also, only a couple of the volunteers took the time to wash the diarrhea off the boxes, and the staff wasn’t great about it either. So I’d come in on Friday and the boxes would have diarrhea all down the sides. I was persistent and I really tried to be tactful, but it was frustrating and I may not have always pulled off the tact part. I’m going to have to continue to be politely persistent because I can’t keep making food for Rain. Yes, I’m probably the Volunteer from Hell. :D But for now, Rain is doing well. I’m so glad her new raw diet worked! Yay!

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried her on commercial raw like Stella and Chewy’s? This might be a good compromise if raw is too much for a prospective adopter.

I find most LID foods aren’t worth the ink they used to print the label. Their so called limited ingredient formula is limited to ridiculously inappropriate ingredients. I’m looking at you, Nature’s Variety Instinct with your clay, peas, and cranberries!
I agree, and I’ve suggested S&C, Primal or Northwest Naturals to them as a next step after Rain finishes what I’ve given them. I also suggested trying Rawz canned food because I’ve also been a little surprised at the ingredients in the foods that are labeled LID. Rawz ingredients are much better IMO. The animal care manager doesn’t work on Fridays which is when I’m there, so I sent her a lengthy email two or three weeks ago. I didn’t hear back which is not unusual. But I’ll keep trying! If it weren’t a health issue I might not be so...pushy. The Volunteer from Hell. That’s me. :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you have to be a persistent advocate for that special one. The one that others would prefer to not deal with.

I certainly don’t think of myself as the Cat Dad from Hell because I would meet with the Drs twice a day to direct Krista’s care this week. It’s what needed to be done for her.

And you did what needed to be done for Rain to make sure her care didn’t fall through the cracks.
:rock:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can think what they want. You’re a saint to poor little Rain. Her only advocate. <3

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yes, so true! I can't agree more re most "LID" foods not being worth the ink on the label!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bravo, congratulations, that is excellent news and very kind of you to have taken proactive measures to help Rain.

I would also be concerned with Rain having a setback if placed on any of the so called LID canned diets, I would only opt for Rawz canned, as mentioned previously and /or a commercial raw (with reasonable bone %'s) or a combo of both.

Mainly though the person who adopts will need a thorough background history of what works and doesn't work as far as Rain's digestive issues, as well as patience and a willingness (and budget) to feed Rain what agrees best with Rain.

Excellent though, it's nice to hear some good news these days. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rain is a beautiful cat!

And yes to Rawz and commercial raw -- given Rain's gut, I'd probably suggest trying Northwest Naturals first since the recipes are pretty simple and they likely have less bone than Stella & Chewy's.

And good for you Tobermory Tobermory for all you've done to help Rain.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Budget is going to be the big issue. It's a small farm sanctuary with a very small budget. They have a lot of large mouths to feed besides the cats and dogs (horses, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, llamas, alpacas, chickens, ducks, geese...). I occasionally rotate Rawz in for my girls, and at our local indy store the chicken and turkey are $2.45 a can. The other flavors are more than $3. I know I'll have to do the cost breakdown for them on the commercial raw vs. Rawz.

I like your suggestion, lisahe lisahe , to start with NW Naturals. They won't be able to afford the freeze dried, but maybe they can swing the frozen since Rain would be the only cat eating it. Rain...so far...has eaten everything they put in front of her, even if it has horrible-tasting medicine in it!