Testing scent of litter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok this is a strange one!
We are trialing yesterday's news right now, which is known to have low odour control but is what my vet is currently recommending. Previously we used swheat scoop.
I've been scooping out the poops and the spots I know they pee in. It has almost been a week.
Whats weirding me out is aside from the poop smell, which goes away when I scoop it, I'm not smelling pee. By now I should be wanting to dump and reload!
Starting to wonder if my hubby and I are just used to the smell.
Here's the question: how do you test a litter on the stink scale if you might just be used to a litter box smell?

Haha! follow up question: does it matter during covid when you can't have people over anyway?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, go by the 'stink' scale. if I smell the litter box when I go into the room after I scoop, that is when the whole box gets cleaned. my husband has a much more sensitive nose than me, so often I'll listen for him to complain. We have a box upstairs where no one ever is (human) and that one gets the box cleaned less often, but it is the one I scoop the most because that is where they want to go. I usually clean the boxes when company is coming, and that isn't too often, I don't want to be known a the Cat Lady with a stinky house, Of course when Dutch uses the box for pooping and he is the one that doesn't bury, we can smell it a LONG ways away!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not smelling pee. By now I should be wanting to dump and reload!
Hmmm... I've only ever used clumping litter, and it covers the pee smell, so I only ever smell it when "elevator butt" Ruby manages to pee over the side of her high-sided litter box. :cringe:

Starting to wonder if my hubby and I are just used to the smell.
You mean you're gone "nose blind". ;)

Haha! follow up question: does it matter during covid when you can't have people over anyway?
Well, guess you could watch your cat and see if something like this happens.

1609203893469.png

And, sorry, guess my post isn't very helpful, is it. :ohwell:

I will suggest Petkin litter box wipes, which I get at Walmart, and make keeping the litter box smelling clean super easy.
Petkin Litter Box Wipes - 40ct | Walmart Canada

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... I've only ever used clumping litter, and it covers the pee smell, so I only ever smell it when "elevator butt" Ruby manages to pee over the side of her high-sided litter box. :cringe:

You mean you're gone "nose blind". ;)

Well, guess you could watch your cat and see if something like this happens.

View attachment 364240

And, sorry, guess my post isn't very helpful, is it. :ohwell:

I will suggest Petkin litter box wipes, which I get at Walmart, and make keeping the litter box smelling clean super easy.
Petkin Litter Box Wipes - 40ct | Walmart Canada
Lol! Yeah even with clumping things get stinky. I too have an elevator butt culprit! Its brutal! It always gets in the part where the lid hits the bottom and I have yet to find a high back high enough for her.
Dumped it today! I think 1 full week with yesterday's news is really good! Wasn't even that bad!
Thanks for the suggestion for the wipes. I saw some from natures miracle the other day and was super curious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, go by the 'stink' scale. if I smell the litter box when I go into the room after I scoop, that is when the whole box gets cleaned. my husband has a much more sensitive nose than me, so often I'll listen for him to complain. We have a box upstairs where no one ever is (human) and that one gets the box cleaned less often, but it is the one I scoop the most because that is where they want to go. I usually clean the boxes when company is coming, and that isn't too often, I don't want to be known a the Cat Lady with a stinky house, Of course when Dutch uses the box for pooping and he is the one that doesn't bury, we can smell it a LONG ways away!
Haha! We are in an apartment so all the bathroom business is up close and personal. I have it under a desk with a tablecloth over it to give them privacy but when there's a poop the whole family smells it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I too have an elevator butt culprit! Its brutal! It always gets in the part where the lid hits the bottom and I have yet to find a high back high enough for her.
The first litter box I had for Ruby was a 2 piece one, and pee was always leaking through the seams. I ended up getting a high sided one at Canadian Tire. They don't seem to have the one I bought anymore, but similar to this: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...d-high-back-litter-box-grey-1424770p.html#srp

Using a Rubbermaid bin and cutting an opening for them to get in and out, is something some cat parents of elevator butt cats have done. Here's a link with more info: BETTER LITTER BOX -- CATS ADORED

Thanks for the suggestion for the wipes. I saw some from natures miracle the other day and was super curious.
I've tried them both, and prefer the Petkin ones. I find they seem a bit wetter for cleaning. The Natures Miracle ones seemed too dry, however, they do have a rough scrubby side, which the Petkin ones don't have. Petkin's are cheaper, I think. Maybe try them both and see which you prefer.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think if your cleaning the litter alot box it doesnt smell much really i scoop graycies poop pee soon as she finishes doing either she meows to let me know its cleaning time. the lidded trash can i use for the pee poop that will smell if its not dumped every other day when i open it up. also add a few lumps of plain coal to the poop can :lol: