Testing For Feline Coronavirus

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently lost a kitty that I rescued to FIP and have 3 other cats in my house. Does anybody know around how much it can cost to have a cat tested to see if they have coronavirus?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never gotten it done so I don't know how much it costs. A cat being positive doesn't mean that they will end up with FIP, actually only a small percentage of cats that test positive for the coronavirus end up with FIP. FIP is caused by an interaction between the virus and the cat's immune system. If a kitty tests negative then they cannot possibly develop FIP but testing positive is far from meaning that they will develop FIP.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I am able to find, the cost of testing can vary wildly from one part of the country/world to the next. There's just no way to even try to advise you without knowing where you are, and even then, it would be very rough, ball-park figures. But denice denice is so very right in what she advises. Testing will, at best, let you know that there is a SMALL chance that your cats might get sick.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have multiple rescue cats, they are most likely positive for corona. (I've never tested mine because I assume they all have it. My vet feels the test is pointless, as do I.) Don't panic, though - the majority of cats are positive for corona, and most lead totally normal lives. I'm sorry for your loss, but I don't think there's any reason to worry about your other cats ending up with FIP too.