Tested FIV positive

mybelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a 5 years neutered male cat. He’s been making some weird sounds with no other symptoms and we’ve been making every test possible in order to find out why. We did blood, X-rays and he’s fine. We got to do FIV and Felv tests and the result came positive for Fiv. We were said it will be done again next week but until then I was wondering how many chances are to be a false positive. I read there are many false positives and false negatives, with 100% false positive if the cat was vaccinated but he is not. When I asked how he might have got it, as he is an indoor cat with no direct contact with other cats, the vet told us that we could have brought it to him by stepping in another cat faeces or blood. We do feed some feral cats outside. But I also read that it’s transmitted mostly by scratches, deep wounds and it doesn’t live too long in the environment.
Does anyone know more about these tests?
Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Maybe this article will help with specifics - please note paragraph 5 under the 'Diagnosis' section. It would seem there are occasions where a cat can test positive and not really be infected. In those cases, according to this document a second test using 'the western blot or immunofluorescence (IFA) assays at a reference laboratory' is performed (noted under 'Diagnosis', paragraph 2).
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine