Terrible litter smell

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

We keep the kitty litter box in the bathroom upstairs so it's near three bedrooms. I am diligent in cleaning it out multiple times a day and we have one of those litter lockers. We had to resort to getting a covered littler box for them as they decided it was fun to just chase each other into it and scatter the little around.We always end up with littler in the bath tub so every couple days I am cleaning it out as that is the bathroom our three year old uses. We still end up with litter around even with a mat for trap the litter as they come out of the box. We feed them wet food in the morning when we get up and dry food is available all the time as is fresh drinking water. 

Well the bathroom is stinking to high heaven and it's even wafting down the stars now to the front door which is alarming. So every time we go upstairs it stinks to high heaven! We keep the window open in the bathroom as much as we can but even then as soon as they go again it's very stinky. We use a clumping litter that says it keeps the smell away so much that you don't have to scoop for 7 days but of course I scoop multiple times a day. I now know the rule of thumb is to have one littler box for every kitten/cat and then one but we don't have the space and they do fine sharing.  I have seen deodorizer stuff you can put in the litter box at pet stores but I was wondering if that would make them unhappy, anyone have any experience with it? I was told at the vets I could line the littler box with baking soda on the bottom and I have also read where you can sprinkle some in after every time you scoop but does it actually work? I know not to use air fresheners or smelly air fresh sprays as that can irritate them. Right now all we do as I said is keep the window open and scoop out the poop a lot. Anyone had a litter locker, may be it's that causing the smell. Some how I don't think so as it's really bad but who knows may be it's not working. It sure is handy though!  Also I have heard of using lavender essence in the room or lemons but not sure if that is safe or if it would even work. 

I don't know if may be it's their food making their poop smell so bad as I do notice some of the poop can be very soft. I am searching the internet for ideas as well to help with the smell. I just read a few times on different sites that putting a bowl of white vinegar near the littler box helps and the place won't smell like vinegar either. Has anyone here done this and is it safe for the kittens? 

Any help as to what we can try and what may be causing it is appreciated. I can't imagine there would be no smell although that would be great but it's really bad.

Thanks !

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Bicarb Soda (baking soda) is useful.  But I honestly would be looking at diet. Yes, it does smell but it shouldn't be as awful as you are experiencing. 

Remember that cats have no use for carbs and actually have trouble digesting them... and that too can cause soft or runny stools.

Generally, cats that are fed a quality, canned diet don't have stinky, runny stools, and raw-fed cat poo is often smell-free!

And they're a lot better off health-wise.

I'm not an expert, but there are some very knowledgeable people over in Nutrition who can help more...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bicarb Soda (baking soda) is useful.  But I honestly would be looking at diet. Yes, it does smell but it shouldn't be as awful as you are experiencing. 

Remember that cats have no use for carbs and actually have trouble digesting them... and that too can cause soft or runny stools.

Generally, cats that are fed a quality, canned diet don't have stinky, runny stools, and raw-fed cat poo is often smell-free!

And they're a lot better off health-wise.

I'm not an expert, but there are some very knowledgeable people over in Nutrition who can help more...
  My girls refuse wet food so they are on a moderate quality dry food (IMHO, the folks at the Nutrition board are the experts and can recommend better).  Their litter box is centrally located in our house; in the laundry closet.  It sits between the kitchen, living and dining rooms.  We have a Litter Maid box.  It's pretty rare that I smell a poo.  Usually just a "fresh" one here and there if I'm close to the actual laundry closet.  So that makes me think that food could be part of the problem.  Even something like a food sensitivity can cause that.  I do think the folks in Nutrition can be helpful in finding something that works for your crew.

Good luck!! 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you checked the bathroom to be sure nobody is going outside the box? Look in all the corners, behind the toilet, etc. Also look closely at the walls to see if they've been sprayed.

How often do you clean the litter box besides just scooping? Plastic can pick up odors that just seem to hang around forever.

What litter are you using? I've come across a couple that seem to have almost no odor control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's called Odour Buster and it claims you don't scoop for a week abd it stops Odour and I lots recomnending it. I of course scoop many times a day.. I clean the box every couple weeks with hot soapy water. I feed them grain free food. The wet food is Wellness and wilderness blue both kitten and grain free in chicken flavour. . Will have to get back to you on the dry name upstairs and can't recall name. But it's grain free too.

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dry food is Purrfect Bistro Merrick, Grain Free Healthy Kitten we feed them.When we got them they were on Science Diet for Kittens and we left them on it for about a week when we got them and then changed to the other. I do notice that the stuff they are on now has a stronger smell than the Science Diet could that be why or are.

felinepipeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's a new kind of litter made from walnut shells that's very good at controlling urine odor, also cat treats which claim to make stool less stinky - but my cats don't like the treats, so not sure if they work. Firm stool is less odiferous than soft, so if you can find a way to firm up their stool, that might help.

Vinegar is great for neutralizing urine odor in fabric, but I can't imagine a bowl of it would be effective in removing odor from the air. I, too, have a very small house, and not the recommended number of boxes for the number of cats, but I have pans on every floor.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter claimung no scooping for 7 days-that is insane and could lead to cats being put out/given up!

Get rid of the litter locker for a week or so and see if it changes.  I never had luck with anything, same for all the parents I know with the diaper genie.

I swear by fresh step clay.  I have 26 cats inside and had a vet over who did not know and even she was a bit surprised seeing about 15 of them.

Watch citrus scents as cats usually avoid them.  How often do you dump the entire box/wash it out?  I know if I do not wash/bleach the totes start smelling bad after few weeks. Obviously heavier use.

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes no scooping for 7 day is insane and even if it didn't smell I would scoop it every day! Does the clay clump as I need something easy. I don't think it's the litter locker but I think I will remove if and for a whike and see if I smell a difference as it just ran out of the bags so j will hold off on buying more yuntil I see if it make a difference. Also going to try baking soda in the litter box. I did notice this morning the lid on the inside of the box had dried poop on it so going to wash that later.
Can it be their food that is making poop less firm sometime? Or should I start being concerned about That? I do know we stopped using the diaper genie with my son when he was a baby as it never helped it just stunk for poo anyways so may be? I don't expect no smell but this is bad!

Last edited:

bh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too scoop at least twice a day- normally 3-5 times. I also have the litter problem getting everywhere problem, so each time I scoop, I sweep the bathroom as well (I cant stand the litter around). 

I use the arm and hammer deodorizer: 
My cats have no problem with it and it does help the smell. I also take the scoopings out to the trash every time I scoop- which also helps with the smell. 

Cleaning the actual box once a week or every two weeks is absolutely necessary at my house. I usually use the blue dawn and if its really bad I throw in some vinegar or even bleach. 

As for diet- my cats have had a lot of digestive problems (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262218/question-about-good-alternatives/30#post_3397954)  and I've finally figure something out to make their poop solid.. unfortunately it smells worse, but its worth it. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try a probiotic like Nexabiotic 20 strain first for at least a week. A good probiotic will help their gut flora and overall immune system. If that doesn't help, then I would look at changing diet. Even though you are feeding grain free, the foods still have peas and potatoes, which can be an issue for some cats (especially the peas).

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use bleach be careful to WASH the box out first as the urine and bleach is NOT good to mix as there is a reaction between urine and bleach that is toxic...and poop just plain smells with bleach.

Fresh Step has non scoop and scoopable.  I get the non scoop as it is easier for me to just dump boxes then scoop out that much waste/maintain the right litter height so the clumps do not stick to bottom as I use totes and litter boxes(18-20 gallon totes mainly)

diet does have ALOT to do with the smell/firmness of poop!

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to try the deodertizer and not sure what to do about the diet. If it were up to my husband we would still be on Science Diet kitten food and heard that is not that good for them. I don't know really what is the best to be honest but I thought going grain free would be better. I guess I have better go over to nutrition section later and ask there. May be I have a not too good brand? I don't know!

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if I change cat litter do I have to do it slowly or can I just switch. I am wondering if I should try a mulitcat litter. Although if one or both of them have soft poop then changing litter isn't going to help! I am wondering if should get them to the vet as I have read about parasites etc. I am really not sure what to try next but would like to know about changing litter if it's a problem. I want to try that next when we run out of what we are currently using. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your going from one scoopable to another or one non scoop clay to another then no.  If your going from a regular clay to say pine pellet or paper pellets then YES.  Some cats are fussy about changing but most of mine except any brand as long as it is a clay litter(scoop or not)

I can't comment much about food, I feed Friskies wet and dry and science diet worked wonders with mine just got to pricey.  Some foods do not agree with all cats so it may be an issue with that food even though merrick is of a good name.

Have they been to vet at all?  If adopted from shelter anything done there?

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, they were all up to date on shots etc and we took them in to the vets a week after getting them for final shots I think for rabies shot. They are indoor cats.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Tidy Cats Premium Scoop (I like the dark blue cap kind best but they're all good). Well, hmm, I see you might not be in the US ("odour"), but if you can find it give it a try. That's what works best for me.

Is it a poop smell or ammonia-y urine smell?

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks not sure we have tidy cat but to be honest I haven't roamed the litter area in the stores yet. I am in Canada. It's a poop smell

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have two Litter Lockers in the house and swear by them.  They are convenient and keep the odors contained.  I do take them apart and wash all the parts about every two weeks.

I have three boxes in a room for four cats with one Litter Locker in that room, and have hardly any problem with smell.  

I'd sure be wondering about the diet, too, as other posters have said.  Have you checked to see if one of the cats is peeing or pooping outside the box somewhere?  

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have they been treated for worms lately? The only time my litter box had an awful smell was when I first got my kitten and he had worms.