Terrible Behavior

Amelia2423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old cat who I adore but I do not know how to manage her at times. When I first brought her home, she was very energetic but I just thought it was because she was a kitten. It is two years later and she is badly behaved. She jumps on furniture and knocks things down, constant meow, she always runs out, she tries to hide under furniture and fights with my roommates cat. This behavior is causing lack of sleep for me and my boyfriend and it just exhausting since we both work full time jobs. I have tried giving her calming chews and even tried sprays. I am not sure what more I can do.

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she's a high energy cat and is bored. Sometimes cats (kids, men, dogs, other animals ;)) develop bad habits because people around them reinforce negative behavior. What's cute from a kitten or two year old isn't so cute as they get bigger. There are ways to train cats away from bad habits like jumping on counters and I'm sure someone here will have those links handy. Along with that would be positive play time. Jackson Galaxy calls it boil and simmer. I do have the link for that:
Resolutions for a Healthy Cat: Play Therapy

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that she is probably bored. And possibly did not have a successful introduction to the other cat. The links provided by others should give you some excellent advice.
Also, has she been spayed yet?? An non-spayed/non-neutered cat usually contributes and is often the cause of undesirable behavior.
If she hasn't been spayed yet, I would book a vet appointment yesterday! ;)
Is the other cat spayed/neutered also?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure she's fighting with the roommate's cat? Cat play often looks as though they are fighting - the wrestling grip, the rolling around, sometimes snarling at each other - much like little humans playing. If there is blood, open wounds, and seriously scratches then it's fighting. If not, it's playing and practicing to grown cats who can survive. If playing it will also use up a lot of her excess energy.

PS. It is kinda shocking when they go into the clench and roll down the stairs that way. But one or two little claw pricks are all in fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amelia2423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Amelia2423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that she is probably bored. And possibly did not have a successful introduction to the other cat. The links provided by others should give you some excellent advice.
Also, has she been spayed yet?? An non-spayed/non-neutered cat usually contributes and is often the cause of undesirable behavior.
If she hasn't been spayed yet, I would book a vet appointment yesterday! ;)
Is the other cat spayed/neutered also?
Yes, I was informed she was spayed when I got her from the shelter. She did not get introduced properly to the other cat that belongs to the roommate mainly because my roommates aren't thrilled I have her.

Amelia2423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you sure she's fighting with the roommate's cat? Cat play often looks as though they are fighting - the wrestling grip, the rolling around, sometimes snarling at each other - much like little humans playing. If there is blood, open wounds, and seriously scratches then it's fighting. If not, it's playing and practicing to grown cats who can survive. If playing it will also use up a lot of her excess energy.

PS. It is kinda shocking when they go into the clench and roll down the stairs that way. But one or two little claw pricks are all in fun.
That was a good point! They may have been playing but I also know that cats also try to establish dominance especially when there is two in a house hold so I also thought it might be that.

Amelia2423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she's a high energy cat and is bored. Sometimes cats (kids, men, dogs, other animals ;)) develop bad habits because people around them reinforce negative behavior. What's cute from a kitten or two year old isn't so cute as they get bigger. There are ways to train cats away from bad habits like jumping on counters and I'm sure someone here will have those links handy. Along with that would be positive play time. Jackson Galaxy calls it boil and simmer. I do have the link for that:
Resolutions for a Healthy Cat: Play Therapy
Thank you for the link! I will try it out!