Tentative IBD diagnosis in one cat, and his brother has it, too.

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone with experience could weigh in and help me make sure we're doing all the right things, I'd really appreciate it! I'm feeling incredibly stupid right now because I thought some cats naturally have a lot of trouble with hairballs. As long as the two brothers (littermates) were getting egg yolk powder daily, everything was A-OK. Then my autoimmune disease flared up and I had a lot of trouble sticking to the daily schedule, and things were fine with a skipped day here and there. Then out of the blue one boy develops acute diarrhea, he went to the toilet multiple times in one night and was feeling better the next day, though he had two semi-solid BMs. I had given him some turkey breast lunch meat the day the diarrhea started and I thought there might be a connection, but when he improved the following day I thought we were out of the woods. The next day it starts again, and this time there is vomiting. I thought maybe because we've skipped our egg yolk powder a couple of days in a row. Things go downhill that night with more and frequent diarrhea and the next morning I take him to the emergency and specialty hospital.

He gets an ultrasound and blood work. Blood work is normal, the ultrasound shows inflammation in the intestines. He's scheduled for an endoscopy with biopsy the following day. The next day the internal medicine doc calls and says she wants to do more blood work, this time to test B12 absorption and pancreatic function. She wants to review the results before proceeding with the endoscopy and it will take 24-48 hrs. to get the results. She says this will determine whether he needs multiple sections of the intestines biopsied or just the upper. I bring him home along with a bottle of Flagyl, Cerenia, and Mirtazapine. Well, pilling this cat is like wrestling an alligator- he's only 11 lbs.!- and the only thing I can get into him is the Flagyl. Pill shooter is half-destroyed already because he bit through the silicone tip. He yells the entire time like he's being tortured and manages to thrash around despite being firmly purritoed. I'm feeling beyond sick at this point and ready to collapse. I start him on a very low dose of pure CBD isolate powder from a highly reputable company, mixed in with his egg yolk and probiotics. That's what really gets me. I've been giving these cats probiotics I've seen recommended for IBD cats, Renew Life Ultimate Flora, for a while now to *prevent* anything like this from happening. And here we are. I don't blame the probiotics because there have been a lot of health issues in this litter. Two littermates have already passed away and my boys are only 5 yrs. old.

The special tests (B12 and pancreas) come back normal and I find myself having to reschedule the endoscopy because I'm barely able to stand at this point and bringing him home from the hospital was a nightmare with his brother and older sister thinking he's a brand new cat because he smells weird. After a couple of almost-fights broke out, I had to sequester him in the guest room. He is a much-improved cat the following day. Appetite and behavior are almost back to normal. I continue with the alligator wrestling twice a day, destroying many Flagyl pills in the process, and start the boys on a novel protein diet. My sick boy takes to it immediately, eating everything I put down. Most of it is Primal freeze-dried raw, with a little Koha single protein food and Instinct dry LID Rabbit. Yeeesss, I know, dry food is far from ideal for IBD cats. I'm concentrating on giving them as much variety as possible right now to make the transition easier. I swear this is temporary and I only put a little down early in the day. It's raw and wet after that.

Brother, who has the exact same issues with hairballs and, therefore, is presumed to also have IBD, is not enjoying the new food. He misses chicken and fish the way I'd miss pizza if I were told I could never eat it again. I buy the super expensive treats they're in love with, freeze-dried duck heart, and start doling it out following Flagyl and sprinkling it on the wet food they're not terribly fond of. This seems to go a long way towards getting back in their good graces.

To make things even better, I goof up boy #2's digestive system by upping his probiotics dosage. A few days later I'm still trying to get him back to normal. I'm starting both of them on the Jarrow s. boulardii tonight because it's supposed to be good for diarrhea, infections, and has an anti-inflammatory effect. I wish I'd known about this earlier.

Is it common for a cat who suffered an acute illness and barely got any nutrition in him for five days to lose weight? My sick boy is doing much better and has mostly regained his appetite, but he definitely looks leaner. I think it's partially the shaved tummy, but his hip bones are more prominent, too.

And what are the odds that it isn't IBD and is Lymphoma instead if both cats have the exact same issues (except for the acute illness, and we're still not certain what triggered it- food borne bacteria is still a possibility). They're only five years old. Surely they couldn't both have Lymphoma...? The endoscopy is in two and a half weeks. I'm going to discuss all this with his regular vet, of course, but I would love some feedback from anyone with experience, personally or professionally. If you have any thoughts regarding anything I haven't mentioned, I'm open to learning and trying new things.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Endoscopy can be risky for cats. My cat had IBD, pancreatitis, and liver inflammation. She ate rabbit and duck LID. Her medicine was prednisolone made at a compound Pharmecy fruity flavored. She loved it. Her weight dropped 11 to 5 pds. One way to give a cat a pill is shut him in the bathroom with you, put him on the counter, scruff his neck and tilt it, put the pill in as far as you can, quickly shut his mouth while it's still, tilted, wait til he swallows. It helps to blow on his nose. Cats cannot choke like humans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Endoscopy can be risky for cats. My cat had IBD, pancreatitis, and liver inflammation. She ate rabbit and duck LID. Her medicine was prednisolone made at a compound Pharmecy fruity flavored. She loved it. Her weight dropped 11 to 5 pds. One way to give a cat a pill is shut him in the bathroom with you, put him on the counter, scruff his neck and tilt it, put the pill in as far as you can, quickly shut his mouth while it's still, tilted, wait til he swallows. It helps to blow on his nose. Cats cannot choke like humans
Thanks for the reply! I feel like you deserve a medal for reading all that. It did not occur to me that endoscopy could be a problem. I was just grateful the doc didn't suggest something more invasive. Do you know of any resources on this issue I might find helpful? I'd like to make an informed decision.

Do you mean the canned rabbit and duck? I looked it up and couldn't find a dry duck food. I was going to get some cans of the LID novel proteins, but my boys hate pate type food. I wonder if they could be persuaded to change their minds.

We discussed prednisolone. She said he has a mild heart murmur, and this is an entirely new issue, that would negate the use of steroids. She also said it could be from stress or the subQ fluids, and he is extremely vet phobic, just an anxious cat in general, so I'm thinking there's a strong possibility it was stress related. I'm going to continue to keep the boys on a daily egg yolk powder regimen for the three months it takes a novel protein diet to heal gut inflammation, assuming the cause is food allergies, and then I'll wean them off of it and see what happens. Maybe we won't need steroids. (Would appreciate feedback on this approach if anyone has an opinion.)

Oh wow, I did not know about blowing on the nose or the fact that cats can't choke. I'm not sure I can manage to get him to hold still long enough, but I have not tried holding him by the scruff. I'll have to give this a shot.

Thanks again!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes my cat Maggie a couple of days to get over it. She hides. Not the sick one. That is Josie,my avatar. Passed away last year. 17 yrs old. My other cats do fine. I did not know they cannot choke til the vet told me. How old is he? I wonder what she ment by heart murmur.

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is how we gave Marlow his pills. Maybe it might work for you
ps....your cats are very lucky to have you

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She only ate wet. Maybe mixing in freeze dried duck or Turkey will help from vital essentials or stella & chewy
This is how we gave Marlow his pills. Maybe it might work for you
ps....your cats are very lucky to have you
My vet suggested something similar. Crush the pill on a thin piece of paper,add a tiny bit of water in a syringe, add the mix, then use the syringe in his mouth. I could never do it. Good luck!