"tender Vittles" Type Semi-moist Food

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a semi-moist pouch food like this oldie but goodie WITHOUT "gravy" that can be left out all day for snacking purposes? I heard Tender Vittles was making a comeback and would be available at WalMart, but haven't seen it. I've finally gotten mine to eat wet food, but as I work all day, I can't offer it often enough and would like to supplement my old boy's calories. His teeth are going, so I don't do free-feeding with dry kibble anymore. Any suggestions???

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to use Tender Vittles for Tawny decades ago!!! He actually learned to open the packets on his own (not what I had planned) - and, he only ate what he needed to eat.

I haven't seen anyone come out with anything like those so far!! The only thing I have heard of is a Meow Mix product that is actually dry food but has a soft center.

They do the packet versions for dogs - wonder why not cats anymore?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have no choice dry food is possible. I'd buy the ones that are shaped like little barrels and are smooth all over. When I took our cat in for an x-ray of her spine, she had apparently just finished breakfast. The x-ray showed her stomach - full of the dry food. Each piece was complete and whole as it was when it came out of the bag. No chewing done. Cats only have cutting teeth - all their teeth are pointed. To chew something up you need molars the flat topped grinding teeth.

So you needed avoid dry because he can't chew it, most never do chew the dry. Though some do. One other member spoke of hearing the crunch when his cat ate dry food.

However, eating a nice soft or semi-soft food would probably be a comforting experience for your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the Meow Mix with the soft center is easy to chew (versus a solid dry kibble)? Not that Meow Mix is the healthiest food in the world...

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have no choice dry food is possible. I'd buy the ones that are shaped like little barrels and are smooth all over. When I took our cat in for an x-ray of her spine, she had apparently just finished breakfast. The x-ray showed her stomach - full of the dry food. Each piece was complete and whole as it was when it came out of the bag. No chewing done. Cats only have cutting teeth - all their teeth are pointed. To chew something up you need molars the flat topped grinding teeth.

So you needed avoid dry because he can't chew it, most never do chew the dry. Though some do. One other member spoke of hearing the crunch when his cat ate dry food.

However, eating a nice soft or semi-soft food would probably be a comforting experience for your cat.
Can you specifically cite brands that are "barrel shaped" or "smooth all over"? All I've seen are various shapes (as if cats care about their food looking like hearts and stars).

Mine definitely chewed the dry food when I offered it -- it sounded like they were eating rocks -- and one ended up with a fractured and infected lower molar from it. They're both senior now, and I'm sure their teeth will continue to deteriorate as they continue to age. We don't want to go through that again!

Heck, they even chew the wet food out of the can! Maybe I just have weird cats...

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if the Meow Mix with the soft center is easy to chew (versus a solid dry kibble)? Not that Meow Mix is the healthiest food in the world...
I have no idea - good question! I haven't tried it, but I suppose you could buy the smallest bag they have and test it out. Yeah, I understand not a whole lot of folks consider Meow Mix to be that great, but if it is not the only food your cats will be eating, maybe that isn't so bad.

Here is an article on the top 5 soft dry cat foods (Meow Mix is listed too). They are denoted as being for seniors. I am not sure why all of them all called soft dry, but at least a couple of them have pictures of the pieces.

Top 5 Soft Dry Cat Food for Senior Cats (& More) with Reviews

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fromm is barrel shaped. Science diet is but Fromm is higher protein and IMO a better food.

Since your cats have already cracked their teeth on dry food - and OUCH! ( I've had cracked teeth my best day was when the dentist pulled it - it had turned green inside - pain gone) I'd go on and transition them to the wet or the semi- moist.

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fromm is barrel shaped. Science diet is but Fromm is higher protein and IMO a better food.

Since your cats have already cracked their teeth on dry food - and OUCH! ( I've had cracked teeth my best day was when the dentist pulled it - it had turned green inside - pain gone) I'd go on and transition them to the wet or the semi- moist.
I've taken them off all dry because of their teeth; they get only wet now. But one definitely needs supplemental "snacks" throughout the day to keep his weight up.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tender vittles certainly worked for putting on weight. I was cat sitting and got the instructions wrong, so I was giving the guest a package of Tender vittles a day. He didn't object at all. turned out he was supposed to have half a package a day. When his person came to collect him, person looked at him and said, "Well, Tom, I see your jumping days are over."

So you are headed in the right direction.

Have you had any bad teeth removed? Painful teeth do get in the way of eating.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen Tender Vittles for 30 years! We gave that to our very first cat when I was a kid.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could probably leave out freeze dried raw if you didn't re-hydrate it. But that stuff is like crack to my cat. He was free fed kibble for 12 years and he never over ate. I think he would wolf as much of the freeze dried raw that I left out in one shot. So, how that would work out would depend on your cat in regards to whether he will eat it only when he's hungry and also whether he'll drink enough water to compensate for not re-hydrating the freeze dried.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought the freeze dried raw was hard like jerky or a powder.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No, freeze dried raw food is sort of soft so it can be easily rehdyrated in water. Sort of like a cheese puff / cheese doodle texture or astronaut ice cream.

Dehdydrated raw food such as The Honest Kitchen is powder. That must be rehydrated in water to a sort of pate consistency before feeding. Eating dry powder is difficult and makes one thirsty.

Freeze dried treats can be similar in texture to freeze dried raw food or it can be sort of jerky-like.

I've taken them off all dry because of their teeth; they get only wet now. But one definitely needs supplemental "snacks" throughout the day to keep his weight up.
Can you use a timed feeder to provide wet food snacks during the day?

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As LTS3 mentions, it's soft. I feed the Stella & Chewy's freeze dried morsels mixed in with canned, and sometimes a couple as a treat. It's dry and easy to crumble with your fingers. But it includes bone, at least the S&C does. So that's something else you might need to consider if you are going to end up feeding a lot of it.