Tender Mouth

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Charlie is 5 months old now and has developed his double canines. Of course his gums have been pretty red and this morning I noticed that he lost one of his baby canines last night. His mouth seems pretty tender and he doesn't want to eat a whole lot right now. How long should I anticipate him having a tender mouth?

He has also had worms again so I've started dosing him again for that. I'm sure this is why he has been a bit mopey and had a touch of diarrhea.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
teething can be painful for kittens. offer soft food for a while. if he gets worse, take him to the vets.

Same for the worms

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He definitely doesn't feel well. I'll keep an eye on him and give him a bland diet to make sure he eats. He's not interested st all in his food right now.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if he's not eating at all, I'd take him to the vet quickly then.
He ate a little bit this morning. I just went and got him some baby food. I'm not concerned about the not eating just yet. Plus the vet here in town isn't open until Friday and I don't have the money to take him to the vet in the next town.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
W weemomma

He sounds like he may have an infection that requires antibiotics. His gums sound very sore and the redness is concerning. He may even have fever.

I would definitely get him to the vet Friday if he is no better!

Last edited:

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what I posted on another board:

So, here we go again.

Charlie has now started acting as if he doesn't feel well. We got Hariette over her little bought of illness very recently, but it seems as if it is the kitten's turn.

He has been pretty sleepy today. Not his normal active self. He has just turned 5 months old and is currently teething. He just lost a canine last night and I feel like his gums are understandably sore. He doesn't have his normal interest in food and has been having some pretty liquid diarrhea since last night.

I also noticed that he had worm segments on his bottom this morning. I thought that we had gotten rid of the worms, but they reappeared. I gave him some wormer this morning that he had been on about a month ago. I know that his tummy is probably not feeling well, so I'm going to switch over to a bland diet to see if that helps him any. His poor bottom is sore now too.

On top of all of this, he has scratched his little ear raw. There was a little patch on the inside that is bleeding slightly. No idea why. His ear looks clear with no discharge. He's a little bit warm in general, but I know it's probably a combination of everything.

I spend so much money on Hariette last month that I don't have the money to really take him anywhere but the local country vet. Let's face it, she's not the best, but she is cheap. What is the best thing that I can do for him right now? Should I just assume that he's having a bad day today and see if things get better tomorrow? He was perfectly fine last night, running around and being his normal kitten self.

We have clear liquid coming out of Charlie's bottom, so it seems as if the wormer is the culprit of his feeling sick today. He just had a big poop of clear fluid and a lot of gas when I was in the room with him. We'll see how he feels closer to dusk and if he'll eat some more soft food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
W weemomma

What advice are you getting from the other forum?

It sounds like the scratching is from either fleas or ear mites.

It also sounds like they all need a round of Albon to cure internal parasites and bacteria.

The male kitten definitely sounds like he has fever on top of it all.

Can you phone the country vet?

Additionally, you need to clean the male kitten's bottom with a warm, wet cloth, then apply coconut or olive oil for relief.

Your poor animals!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The female cat is 10 and she is so much better than she was 2 weeks ago. This all started with Charlie, the 5 month old kitten, today. I noticed he had the rice like worms on his bottom and gave him a dose of wormer. I might have given him a little too much in hindsight, but other than the gassiness and mucus pooping, he just seems mopey. He unleashed a torrent of gas earlier when I was with him and he was using the litter box. I'm sure he's uncomfortable.

He does have fleas. That is a battle that we are dealing with actively for all of the cats. I have treated him multiple times with both Capstar and his monthly flea medication. I am hesitant to give him another Capstar until his current issues clear up.

I haven't gotten any advice on the other forum, which is why I posted in two places.

I just gave him about a tablespoon of ham baby food, which he would only eat off my finger. He has kibble, a small amount of tuna, and some canned kitten food in with him, but he doesn't have any interest in any of them. I am not sure if he has drank anything today, but he has been peeing and he passes the hydration tests.

His temp was slightly elevated earlier today, but he seems to be feeling slightly better. He is teething on top of all of this which makes me feel really bad for him.

The country vet only works three days out of the week. When you call, she tells you to call an emergency number for the Vet ER about 40 minutes away if it's after hours. If I were going to do that, then I would simply take him to the vet that currently cares for his older sisters. I do not have the funds after dealing with Hariette this past month. I'm willing to just let him rest tonight and see where things stand in the morning. I most definitely will not be going another round of wormer any time soon.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Charlie is out playing right now. Not as
Hyper as he usually is but still playing. His temp still seems a little high. I went ahead and pulled his kibble. I will let him sleep on an empty tummy tonight and see where we stand in the morning. Hopefully that tummy feels better in the morning!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would leave him with a small amount of dry food and his water. It may be the wet food upsetting his tummy.

I hope he feels better soon!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THAT belly is most definitely sore. I just picked Him up to show him the kibble in his bowl and he gave me a squeak. I then palated him slightly and he gave me a more powerful meow.

Hopefully it is all less tender in the morning. He has not had this reaction to the wormer before. This is a bit strange. I'll continue to watch him!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be gas. You can give him a few drops of baby simethicone.

What worming product did you give? How much did you give?

Most are very mild and have no side effects.

I wonder if it's something else bothering him.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet told me the name and I cannot remember it. It is a white liquid. I can him 1cc when I probably should have given him .7cc. I know he is very gassy.

I'll see where we stand in the morning. I don't feel any lumps in the belly from what he'll let me press. I know he's pooping because it's a clear mucus, which I've heard is from the dewormer.

He might have a slight tummy ache from wet food too or a slight food intolerance. He usually eats like a grown man but has the worst smelling poops from time to time.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2 am update:

His bottom is no longer leaking like it was. He's purring up a storm. He's still not really interested in the water dish, but his belly did not seem as painful as it had been last night when I gave it a squeeze. Will try again in a few hours to get him to eat something.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is back to nibbling on my chin!!

He played in his water dish like he normally doesn't so that's tells me he drank. ANd he just ate some of his kitten kibble. I'll be giving him some soft food before I got to work but it seems like his belly has settled!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He didn't even eat as much as he normally does but I suppose after 24 hours, his tummy still isn't feeling great. He loudly demanded food when I was showering so we're on the right track!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Charlie has solid poops again! Seems I had the right instinct to worm him but might have been a little heavy handed when I did it. He's eating his canned food again and some kibble. Little baby steps.