Temptations Purrree best tool for CKD

syzygycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been exploring and re-exploring safe ways to get my CKD cat to eat more.
I reached out to the various "lickable treats" mfrs to find actual, current, dry matter phosphate. Aside from Churu different flavors of each brands are within 0.1% of each other.

Dry Matter Phosphate contents:
Tiki Stix= 0.9%
Hartz Squeeze Ups=1.3%
Inaba Churu Puree= 2.2-3.3%
Temptations Purrree=0.48% (chicken/salmon) 0.51% (tuna)

In-terms of ingredients temptations has similar/better ingredients than RX Royal Canine wet food. About the same phosphorus & sodium levels (RC-T 0.51% phos & 0.51% sod.) temptations 0.51-0.55% sodium.

My kitty will eat 1/3 of a can of RX Royal canine food per meal. She finishes the entire can if I add 75% of a tube of temptations to the uneaten portion... Only 7% of her calories would be empty calories treat. Seems like a great trade off to stop her weight loss without messing up her kidneys with phosphates

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I feed one of my cats these as his "2nd breakfast". My other cat hates them. But I digress. I agree with you that this seems like a good trade off to get your cat to finish off her RX food without causing more issues. And I'm not sure I would even call them empty calories. They even have taurine in them, just not vitamins, etc.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been exploring and re-exploring safe ways to get my CKD cat to eat more.
I reached out to the various "lickable treats" mfrs to find actual, current, dry matter phosphate. Aside from Churu different flavors of each brands are within 0.1% of each other.

Dry Matter Phosphate contents:
Tiki Stix= 0.9%
Hartz Squeeze Ups=1.3%
Inaba Churu Puree= 2.2-3.3%
Temptations Purrree=0.48% (chicken/salmon) 0.51% (tuna)

In-terms of ingredients temptations has similar/better ingredients than RX Royal Canine wet food. About the same phosphorus & sodium levels (RC-T 0.51% phos & 0.51% sod.) temptations 0.51-0.55% sodium.

My kitty will eat 1/3 of a can of RX Royal canine food per meal. She finishes the entire can if I add 75% of a tube of temptations to the uneaten portion... Only 7% of her calories would be empty calories treat. Seems like a great trade off to stop her weight loss without messing up her kidneys with phosphates
Very interesting, if its helps wonderful. I hope it does. Izzy's bloodwork came back in the high normal range. I messed up because I realized I had no idea what the make up of the freeze dried chicken treats I was giving her. To boot I feel guilty and I am going to be holding my breath until retesting You do wonderful by your babies.