Temperature taking question

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need to take the temperature of a stray cat that gave birth a few days ago. I have never taken a cat's temperature before but have watched the vet and read a lot about it. I'm nervous, but I think I can do it. I'm just worried that I may hurt the cat (a legitimate first-time concern, I guess).

My question is this: The books I've read say to use petroleum jelly on the tip of the thermometer. The thermometer instructions say not to use petroleum jelly (for human use). I have a 10 y/o container of (generic) petroleum jelly that indicates that it is "100% petroleum jelly" and the active ingredient is: white petrolatum USP. Is this stuff safe to use for taking the cat's temperature?

Also, does anyone have any tips for taking a cat's temperature? Maybe something you've learned that wasn't in the books? The cat will be laying down when I take it, so I don't know if that will make things easier or harder. There's no way I can keep her standing up long enough to take it that way. Thanks.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use a human ear thermometer in your cat's ear.  That's how I take my cats' temps.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Why do you need to take her temperature? If she's having problems it's best to take her to a vet to get everything checked out at once, not just take her temperature at home.