Temperature In The Winter Months

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning,

I have a 6 month old kitten at home and we usually set the heat to only kick on when we are not home if it reaches 62. What temp would a 6 month be ok with in the winter months?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what I’ve read cats like it pretty warm. In the summer I set the ac to 80 when I’m gone and 72 when I’m home. The 72 seems too chilly for them. They sleep more. And in the winter I keep the heat on to 72 degree too. 62 seems way too cold to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what I’ve read cats like it pretty warm. In the summer I set the ac to 80 when I’m gone and 72 when I’m home. The 72 seems too chilly for them. They sleep more. And in the winter I keep the heat on to 72 degree too. 62 seems way too cold to me.
Currently I have it at 68. Before we had the kitten I would have it at 62 and then kick it up to 70 an hour before we got home. Just wondering what is an ideal low temp to keep it on while we are not home and Mia our kitten is.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats will find warmth. My 9 month old kitten hunkers down in his bed with his towel when I'm not home. My 10 year old stays in the blankets on the bed all day. My 5 year old has a spot in her garage where she likes to nap. They all enjoy sunshine.

I keep my house pretty cold. I'm too cheap to turn on the heat until the absolutely last moment.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My heater is set at 60. It’s chilly in the house for all of us! There are spots where they can sit in the sun for a few hours a day and blankets and baskets they can curl up in. Mine are six months old now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My heater is set at 60. It’s chilly in the house for all of us! There are spots where they can sit in the sun for a few hours a day and blankets and baskets they can curl up in. Mine are six months old now.
Great thanks, that is what I figured. we leave all the blinds open so sun light comes in and we have 2 blankets set out in her favorite places and bed. Thanks

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 6mo kittens and the temperature in my apartment during the winter is set around 67-69 (I have no control over it). The boys have plenty of places to curl up and get cozy so they haven't seemed to mind it so far. They actually nap on the radiators sometimes, which is so cute!

I don't think it would be detrimental to have the temp set to 62 as long as there are warmer places for your kitty to stay and curl up. You might even consider a safe heating pad for them to sit on if they get too chilly.

heyitsfae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heating pad recommendation if you do go that route: Snuggle Safe discs! They're about the size of a dinner plate and you pop them in the microwave for a few minutes and they stay warm for 8 hours or so. I had a couple from when I had a hedgehog but I've found that the furbabies are big fans as well.

We're cheap in our house and like to play the "let's see how long we can go without turning on the heat" game. :lol: