tell me your multi-cat household horrible at 1st, turned success stories

mscatamaran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You may remember me from a few months back (with skittish resident cat Odessa and 10yr old 'kitten' Norah). They still occasionally get into scraps, mostly because Norah gets too close for Odessa's comfort.

Well now they may have another one to contend with. I found this kitten in my apt building. It had been abandoned by a former resident in building. She is 3 months old and in very good health, but I'm having a real time finding anyone who can take her. I'd actually like to keep her if no one else seems interested. After letting Norah into NewCat's room for a few times in the span of a few days, I put Norah in the kennel with NewCat peaking from behind opened door. There was some hissing from both, low growling, and one bat (however not very effective since no is behind bars). I really would like things to work out between them (although I know that what I'd like and what will be may not be the same thing, ever) because they have very similar personalities. They both are kittens (Norah is a kitten in spirit, a pure bundle of crazy energy) and I think they could eventually play together and become pals. And then Odessa can be curmudgeon and solitary on the couch (she no longer hides from Norah).

So how do you think first meetings went? Compared to Norah and Odessa's, it went very well.

Please, tell me your stories of integration gone wrong, then gone good. The pairs you were sure would never be able to even just tolerate one another, then by some means, ended up doing just that, maybe even more.

salsanchips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, here is my case:

I had two cats, a female, Moonbat and a male, Wingnut. Both picked up at an animal shelter, spayed and neutered, got along great.

Then one evening two years ago Wingnut was killed by a stray dog or coyote in my back yard while he and Moonbat were both outside. It was very sad and it hurt both Moonbat and myself very much

Moonbat became visibly depressed. She would wander around the house wailing. Wouldn't eat. Obviously traumatized.

This went on for about 4 weeks and by the grace of God a friend at work asked me if I wanted a kitten from a litter she had. I wound up taking two; litter-mates that seemed "bonded" and I just couldn't bear to separate them. They became known as "Doodad" and "Ponce".

Moonbat would have NOTHING to do with them. She would hiss. She would run away and hide. This went on for about 6 MONTHS.

Then, one day I found them sleeping together, all three of them. Shortly after, they were grooming each other. It was just like that -- Moonbat just decided to accept them and after that, it was no problem.

One thing I am learning about cats -- sometimes, the best thing to do is absolutely nothing. Just leave them alone and let them work out their cat "issues" and most of the time, it works out for the best. We as humans stress out too much over what is usually, just a short term situation.

My experience -- hope this is helpful to you in some way. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mscatamaran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh dear, thats so terrible about Wingnut.

Quinne (the kitten) was let out yesterday. Its funny to me that Norah (the 10yr old, 2nd newer cat) finds her so irritating because Norah was basically doing the same thing to Odessa. Maybe she can relate to how irritated Odessa felt/feels now. Quinne went up to sleeping Odessa and hissed. Odessa just stared at her then went back to sleep. So far Odessa and Norah are getting along better with Quinne than each other. Here is the difference between what Quinne does to them and what Norah continues to do to Odessa: Quinne likes to bother everyone. Norah likes to challenge Odessa. Odessa defends herself against Norah but doesn't really challenge or bother anyone.

I'm feeling pretty good all this. I still think Quinne and Norah will eventually become silly friends, but I was most worried about Odessa. She's very skittish and high strung.

Thanks for your story though, that makes me hopeful that maybe one day Odessa and Norah will at least become acquaintances.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalsaNChips

One thing I am learning about cats -- sometimes, the best thing to do is absolutely nothing. Just leave them alone and let them work out their cat "issues" and most of the time, it works out for the best. We as humans stress out too much over what is usually, just a short term situation.
I agree but I experienced an exception to this. When Buddy came to live with me he was not alone. RB Ashley and him were inseparable. But one of the resident cats - RB Wawa - hated both. So all methods of introduction failed. I mean the three were at it for months. They had to be fed separately, take turns staying in the cattery, visit the vet once or twice a month to mend cat fight injuries. RB Wawa even taught the orphaned kittens to hate the pair as much as he did. He became their foster dad (taught them how to hunt, etc)
Since I do not believe in drugs to alter behavior, I resorted to just disciplining the aggressor Wawa. Time outs and NO treats were the only way to let him know I disapproved.
It took a year (maybe more). The 3 did not become friends but at least came to tolerate each other. If Wawa looked like he was up to something, I only had to go "PSST" or say his name and he would control himself. RB Ashley and Buddy learned to keep a low profile especially if I was out of the house.
I also would like to add that my cats are indoor/outdoor and it helped. These 3 would often go together on patrol to keep off strange cats in the property. I think it eased some of the enmity between them.