Tell me what you think!

animalprint4me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok as some of you know I'll be attempting to trap my ferals in Feb. in order to have them fixed & given a rabies vaccine.

I just wanted to run by what I plan on doing & see what yall think, since Ive never done this before and get any tips or advice from those of you who have !

We'll be getting the 2 med. sized cages this coming sat. So I plan on putting them out there opened but to where they wont go off ... so that my ferals get used to them & hopefully come trap nite they'll go in them. Also the nite I plan on trapping them Im going to line the traps w/ newspaper, and then was told to sprinkle some macrel (sp) juice outside the trap & going into it .... and then in the back of the trap have a plate of macrel. Then once I have them trapped Im going to put a towel/blanket over the trap and then put them in my ulitily room until its time to take them to the SPCA. The lady at the SPCA said after their surgeries when I come to pick them up they'll give me a hand out that will tell me what to do after their surgeries & as far as letting them go etc..

Ive also started a log ... writing down when I see one of my ferals, the time they show up and just how they look overall.

Also for those of you who have done this before ... when I take my ferals in to be fixed IF any of them are female & pregnant ... what do they do ??? I assume "destroy" the kittens? ... sorry that sounds awful but not sure how else to say it. What if they kittens are about due to be born ... do they still 'destroy' them? OR would I have the option of keeping the kittens & raising them?

So does that sound about right ?? Any thoughts ???

**sorry for ALL the questions!**

Thanks a bunch !

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Nise..I cannot speak about your trapping plans as I've never trapped cats...but there are many caretakers who post on this board and can give you advice. As far as what will the vet do if the cat is pregnant....I can only tell you what is done at the feral cat clinic I volunteer at...ALL pregnant cats are fixed. There are soo many cats and most caretakers are willing to simply get the female spayed so they know she won't have any more litters.

Katie

P.S. Just something to think about over 73,000 cats/kittens were PTS in Virginia in 2003.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animalprint4me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I take it that means the kittens are destroyed IF the female is preggo
Id hope that Id be atleast given the option of raising them! I too will be very happy to have them all fixed so they'll stop reproducing !!! I feel so bad its 18 degrees out tonite .. I wonder where they go at nite ???

WOW 73,000 ... that is heart breaking & just makes me wanna
I wish people were more responsible about getting their cats & dogs too for that matter neutered!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We'll be getting the 2 med. sized cages You mean traps right? Not regular cages?

this coming sat. So I plan on putting them out there opened but to where they wont go off ... so that my ferals get used to them & hopefully come trap nite they'll go in them. When it comes to trapping, the sooner you trap them the better. The only time I have ever let a feral get used to a trap is when he is cagey and won't go in.

Also the nite I plan on trapping them Im going to line the traps w/ newspaper, You only want thin sheets, so the cat can't feel the wire under their paws. Anything thicker, and it can impede the trigger

and then was told to sprinkle some macrel (sp) juice outside the trap & going into it .... and then in the back of the trap have a plate of macrel. Then once I have them trapped Im going to put a towel/blanket over the trap and then put them in my ulitily room until its time to take them to the SPCA. Be prepared for them to wham themselves along the trap's side, and try to hurl themselves out of the wire- it is a common reaction of feral cats when trapped for the first time.

The lady at the SPCA said after their surgeries when I come to pick them up they'll give me a hand out that will tell me what to do after their surgeries & as far as letting them go etc..

Ive also started a log ... writing down when I see one of my ferals, the time they show up and just how they look overall. That is a good idea-

Also for those of you who have done this before ... when I take my ferals in to be fixed IF any of them are female & pregnant ... what do they do ??? I assume "destroy" the kittens? ... sorry that sounds awful but not sure how else to say it. What if they kittens are about due to be born ... do they still 'destroy' them? OR would I have the option of keeping the kittens & raising them? Unless they are visibly pregnant the vet will opt to spay the cats. The kittens will be peacefully put to sleep. A lot of times, the vet won't know until they get in there.

So does that sound about right ?? Any thoughts ??? Before you transport spray your car heavily with feliway spray and make sure you transport the traps covered- be prepared for the males and the females to spray in their anxiety

Thank you for doing this!

animalprint4me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply!!!! OOOps, yes I meant traps ~ sorry I blame it on the lack of sleep w/ having a 9 wk old in the house !! And Ill cut up a old sheet for the traps then instead of newspaper!

So I shouldnt let them get used to the traps then?!? Just put the traps out the nite before I want to take them in to the SPCA? If a female is obviously pg, then what do they do? Still go ahead w/ the spay?

Thanks for the forewarning about them thrashing around in the traps!!!

What is feliway ?? Never heard of it .. and where can I find it??? And will def. have the traps coverd!

Do you have any experience w/ taming ferals ?? How realistic is it to think I can tame any of them?

Sorry for all the questions & thank you again for replying!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nise..I would advise you to go ahead with the spay. I know it's tough...but just as Hissy says...the doctor does peacefully put them to sleep. The way I look at it is...better to peacefully end a life that hasn't begun than to end a life that has already taken it's first breath.

Part of the problem is that sometimes a cat can "look" pregnant..but not actually "be" pregnant...we've had a few false pregnancies at our rescue...and it truly is best to get these cats fixed on the dates you have already arranged. In fact, I would get the girl you are concerned about into the vet's office first.

You can find Feliway at most PetSmarts:

http://cats.about.com/cs/behaviorali...omfortzone.htm

BTW...have you checked out the Alley Cat Allies website..has loads of really useful information:

http://www.alleycat.org/

Katie

animalprint4me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link Katie for the feliway! And I know what you mean about them being peacefully put to sleep but it still s*cks !!!
And thanks for the link to 'Allycats' will definately check that out!

Thanks again!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nise...feel free to PM me offline. I know it feels wrong...but what you are doing is incredible for these cats. Remember..it isn't your fault that someone wasn't responsible enough to spay/neuter their cats. You ARE part of the solution and what you are doing to improve these cats lives is commendable.

Katie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with katie, chances are if the females are with kittens it is inbreeding and there could be problems. Unless you are equipped to deal with some of the problems that inbreeding brings, the kindest thing is to just go ahead with the spay,

Do I tame ferals? No, but I have been working with them and socializing them for years. There is a big difference when you work with ferals and abused strays versus a kitten brought up in love in a home- you have to lower your expectations and take your cue from the cat, let them call the shots, know how to read them and how to work with them not against them. It's frustrating, sometimes painful and definitely rewarding in the end- but its a long process-

animalprint4me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much! Thanks Katie, I am trying & just want whats best for the cats ~ its just tough to see them outside when its so cold .. I just want to scoop them up, bring them inside & love them up ... but I am finding comfort in knowing Im taking care of them as best I can ... and though I cant show them the love I want ... Im still loving them! Hope that makes sense!

I didnt realize the females could be pg from inbreeding ... and no we wouldnt be equipped to deal w/ that!

Im off to bed its after midnight here & goodness knows when the baby will be up here shortly to eat again!!!

Thanks again ~Nise