Tell me this is "normal" ...

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Mewing while napping.

Our youngest little girl (former feral-born) is the sweetest - but, she's proving to be the most resistant to socializing.

She's the only one that will mew when she is beginning to take a nap - sometimes I'll hear her when she's asleep. Otherwise, she doesn't seem to be having any issues, I think it's just something she does. Anyone else have a cat that does this?

She's "normal" in every other way. Just wish she'd let me scrub on her even a little.
We're patient - and willing to accept that we may never get to touch her.

Background: She has known me since she was about 2 months old (? or less), she is with her family, all now living inside the house. She seems much more independent than the others.

I love her, and this mewing I hear is so sweet, as well as bewildering.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's very interesting and cute.
I know some cats snore when asleep but never heard of one meowing. Maybe she's "singing" a lullaby?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few of mine do it if I talk to them but they are talkative while awake too.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats occasionally will talk in their sleep. Any kind of sound from a sad sounding mew to chattering like they do at birds to actually hissing. ReeRee who never hisses actually hissed one day while sleeping and his little paws were going a mile a minute. Once I got over the initial shock and concern it was kinda cute.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow a hiss in the sleep I have never seen sounds cool! Poor cat was dreaming of something odd tho!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dorothy occasionally lets out a meow in her sleep. The first time I heard it it freaked me out, but I guess she's ok. It's kind of silly actually, makes me laugh. She's a deep sleeper though, so my laughing doesn't wake her.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds precious.
One of my cats will wake himself up hissing. He then acts all startled like someone gooses him or something.

As for not being able to pet her. We took in a 7-week old feral litter as fosters 4 years ago, 2 of the three socialized beautifully and went to their forever home together. Claire though, she never really came around to humans. She is 4 years old and has not seen another human outside my DH and myself since we brought her home. She still won't sit in my lap but we can pet her for a few minutes each day and she does like to sit in the same room with us. But that's it. We adore her though. Loving and caring for a feral is definitely challenging.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
As I'm sitting at my computer today all four of the former outdoor cats are in the office with me - sleeping.

So, as little Pippy is in her "nest", she is mewing and now I am not concerned because others have shared their experiences and I know she's being normal.

It is actually a really sweet mewing sound. Thanks guys!