Tell Me How Much You Hate This...

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's lovely and I am no art expert, just a person that drags my friends and relatives to every art exhibit I can. (Yeah, I bet my friends really enjoyed our trip to the World's Fair.) Edward Hopper is my favorite painter, but DH has vetoed several prints of his work because he isn't especially fond of them for the kitchen. Edward Hopper! I can stare at a book of his paintings for hours. Taste is subjective, but please don't hate your work because of other's opinions. Buy them a blank canvas if they paid for the original and keep your painting! Who cares what they think!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in no way, shape, or form a Picasso but I like to whip the brush out every now and again.

I was asked to paint something for someone... finished it. Sent a picture to see if they liked it. They did not.

This person is someone I know well. They didn't offer any advice on how to make the painting better.

Their comment upset me so I varnished it and now it's hanging on my wall.

I'm thinking about just giving them back the canvas so they can paint over it or do whatever they want to it.

Your thoughts on this piece? Tell me how much you despise looking at it. Tell me how much it makes you want to pluck your eyes out with a dull rusty spoon. Tell me how it would make nice firewood.

Side note, I kinda loved it before they said anything but now I hate it. It's right beside me as I type this and my whole body is on fire just being near it.

View attachment 296813
View attachment 296811
View attachment 296812

I've painted something else for this person before. I wanted to continue the same style. Here is the previous painting which they loved by the way...
View attachment 296814
The first words out of my mouth were "cool". I like it.
Did they say why they didn't like it, or did they mention something about why? The only real difference in style I see is color, the piece you did that they liked is much more muted in color where the first is bursting with colors. I like both pieces, but I like the colors.
If everyone here was artistically inclined and we all decided to paint a cat, some people would paint a serene cat laying on a window ledge, others would paint a brightly colored painting with a cat in mid-hunt, very different things for different preferences.
I think the piece is beautiful, and I hope they didn't upset you too much.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@PushPurrCatPaws - YES! Thank you! You just reminded me. When I paint for other people, it's rare that I end up liking it. If this person had just given me the canvas and said, "Go nuts!" I'd have done something totally different. It's a large canvas with so much potential but they wanted something specific so my creative mind was limited because every time I wanted to try something, I thought, "Oh, they wouldn't like that..." So I had to stop myself. It's like trying to sing with food in your mouth.

I think from now on, I'll paint what I want to paint and if they don't like it (not this person specifically but anyone who ask for a piece from me), too bad for them. I'm talented enough to assess a space and the colour scheme of the whole house and create a composition accordingly.
Do you have an online account where you can just paint whatever you'd like, and offer them for sale?
I was into art when I was a kid. I did a painting I did not like at all, and the teacher said to put the piece away and look later and the problem will appear. I followed his advice and the fact was I just didn't like the painting. I got a cheap, thin mirror and busted it into large, sharp shards from the center out (7 years bad luck followed!.....just kidding ;)) and spent a few hours gluing the broken mirror over the painting, in the broken pattern but spaced out so you only caught pieces of the actual painting and your reflection in the rest.
Amazingly, I framed that thing because it turned out to be one of my favorite (and weirdest) things I'd ever done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
nurseangel nurseangel - What?! I love Edward Hopper's work. His paintings invoke a mood I'm 100% sure how to describe in words. Maybe your DH finds them a bit eerie? Thank you. I will definitely keep this one. I'm thinking about putting it in a float frame. And it might look better on a darker coloured wall.

1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 - Nope. They didn't say why they didn't like it. Just that they didn't and that the people look like old people :ohwell:. I wasn't even sure how to respond to the message so I just said, "Okay". And they did not reply after that. Knowing them, like I said, I know this person well, they do not want this piece in their home. The difference in colour is because they said they wanted a colourful piece, a really colourful one that would stand out on the grey wall in their home. I'm not too upset about it now since I made this thread and you all are so encouraging :heartshape:. My weekend in general was pretty rough and it seemed like it was "pick on Graceful-Lily" weekend. I'm referring to a separate incident aside from this one. So, when I completed the painting, like I said before, knowing this person so well, I didn't expect such a response. I would love to see a picture of that painting with the broken mirror!!

The thing about online accounts to sell things is that it's easier if you have a small following. Since there is so much work out there, I feel like I'd get lost in the background. And I have because I've tried to sell work before. A few months ago, a gentlemen approached me and said he saw my website and like some of my paintings. He actually ended up buying two pieces off me and it was amazing. He told me that he can see the passion and that I should pursue art professionally.

JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia - Thank you! Happy Rain seems fitting too LOL.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
They didn't say why they didn't like it. Just that they didn't and that the people look like old people :ohwell:.
I know this person well, they do not want this piece in their home.
Obviously old people must have better taste since most of us "older people" love your art work. ;) If they flat out do not want this piece in their home then consider it their loss. You are not only talented but a good friend having offered to paint the picture for free and good friends are hard to find. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured since you can find almost anything on the internet, you can put a painting on a wall to see how it would look in a space without actually putting the painting on a physical wall. Guess what? I found a website that does exactly that! And you can pick the atmosphere and frame (float frame or regular)! Of course, my lighting is way different from the ones in the scene so it'll look a bit off but it gives great perspective. It has made me love the painting in a whole new way. :cloud9: Of course the quality isn't that great either but it still works!
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.57.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.57.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.59.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.51.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.52.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.56.34 PM.png