Teething?

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tom is 3.5 months now and has always been the cuddly type since we adopted him. He started nipping a little got a few toys recommended from here and he could care less. For the past couple of days now mainly at night he nips for no reason while we sleep at our hands (woke up with near a heart attack lol) I noticed he is missing 2 front teeth. Could that be the reason why? Could I apply any baby numbing teeth gel? Or something to ease? Or am I just paranoid? Even when I tried to pet him (at night) he nips this is usually midnight he sleeps with us in bed don't let his innocent face fool you lol

IMG_20190618_004724.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

What a cutie!

This won't necessarily help for at nighttime but take a clean washcloth (well rinsed if you use dryer sheets), wet it and partially freeze it. The cold will help ease his mouth discomfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

What a cutie!

This won't necessarily help for at nighttime but take a clean washcloth (well rinsed if you use dryer sheets), wet it and partially freeze it. The cold will help ease his mouth discomfort.
OH that little boy has all of us in love with him lol I will buy the baby cloths to do that. Thank you so much!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a sweetheart! My kittens started teething around 5 months (at least the back teeth) and they ignored the wiggle worm, chew toys and wash cloths. What they liked was dog rawhide sticks, thick straws we replaced as our piranha started to gnaw through the straw and and silvervine sticks.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Teething is the one time I let a kitten chew on me a little. Not hard and not for longer then it takes to grab something else for them to latch but I won't tell them no. I like freezing the little teething toys and pull them out when someone gets chewy too.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Teething is the one time I let a kitten chew on me a little. Not hard and not for longer then it takes to grab something else for them to latch but I won't tell them no. I like freezing the little teething toys and pull them out when someone gets chewy too.
He does it soft and then not that soft I'm afraid he won't grow out of the biting habbit

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He does it soft and then not that soft I'm afraid he won't grow out of the biting habbit
With kittens around, I keep toys on every flat surface and a wand toys tucked into corners. If someone is teething I will let then know on me just until I can get them transfered to a toy or get them playing with a wand. Once they are done teething I say no and ignore them if the bite or claw at me. There isn't a confusion because I don't let teething chew long, I just don't tell them no when they do it but transfer them to a different teether as soon as I can.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With kittens around, I keep toys on every flat surface and a wand toys tucked into corners. If someone is teething I will let then know on me just until I can get them transfered to a toy or get them playing with a wand. Once they are done teething I say no and ignore them if the bite or claw at me. There isn't a confusion because I don't let teething chew long, I just don't tell them no when they do it but transfer them to a different teether as soon as I can.
He really doesn't care much for chewing toys. I have bought a few and nothing. He is scratching a lot too, so I will get him a few scratching toys.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He really doesn't care much for chewing toys. I have bought a few and nothing. He is scratching a lot too, so I will get him a few scratching toys.
Some don't. My boy I found I could get him playing and he'd stop chewing on me. He'd eventually come back but oftentimes he'd fall asleep pretty quickly when he got back.

If he is scratching on you, give a sharp no (or hiss) and completely ignore him for a ten count. Just enough so he knows you are ignoring him. The no (or hiss) should be enough to catch his attention. If you do that every single time even when it's the slightest claw touch he will learn that claws = play stops.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some don't. My boy I found I could get him playing and he'd stop chewing on me. He'd eventually come back but oftentimes he'd fall asleep pretty quickly when he got back.

If he is scratching on you, give a sharp no (or hiss) and completely ignore him for a ten count. Just enough so he knows you are ignoring him. The no (or hiss) should be enough to catch his attention. If you do that every single time even when it's the slightest claw touch he will learn that claws = play stops.
Luckily he doesn't scratch us, it's just the biting thankfully for now. I was reading there's a calming collar and infuser. Could that work?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my opinion the diffusers are expensive and don't always work as advertised plus I'm not sure they're what is needed for this.

You could try something like this - be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

and you could try some music - there is an app called Relax My Cat, and there is also MusicForCats . com.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Luckily he doesn't scratch us, it's just the biting thankfully for now. I was reading there's a calming collar and infuser. Could that work?
I'd avoid chemical options (including "natural" or essential oil labeled products). There simply isn't enough research to prove any of those are safe and enough to show it could be dangerous.

Most kittens are bouncy balls of energy and will calm down as they get older. If you set firm boundaries and redirect them as needed a lot of those negative behaviors (scratching furniture for example) can be nipped in the bud before they are permanent. With scratching you say No and mov them to an appropriate surface every time. It will take a while but they eventually get it. We keep scratching posts at the ends of couches to give them the location they want with a surface we want.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd avoid chemical options (including "natural" or essential oil labeled products). There simply isn't enough research to prove any of those are safe and enough to show it could be dangerous.

Most kittens are bouncy balls of energy and will calm down as they get older. If you set firm boundaries and redirect them as needed a lot of those negative behaviors (scratching furniture for example) can be nipped in the bud before they are permanent. With scratching you say No and mov them to an appropriate surface every time. It will take a while but they eventually get it. We keep scratching posts at the ends of couches to give them the location they want with a surface we want.
So far the scratching is not an issue for now, but I am in did buying a few new toys

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my opinion the diffusers are expensive and don't always work as advertised plus I'm not sure they're what is needed for this.

You could try something like this - be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

and you could try some music - there is an app called Relax My Cat, and there is also MusicForCats . com.
That's why I noticed in te shelter they had music and radios all over. I'm trying this!!!