Teething?

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tom has been a little too much on the nipping side. Could this be related to teething? Or him just been a little rascal? He is only 2.5 months so it might be ok for this behavior?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah. He is cutting teeth big time. He is also quite young (only 10 weeks) and was taken from his mom too soon to learn "kitty etiquette"! Whenever he clamps down too hard, hiss loudly and take your hand away and ignore him for several seconds. That's how he would be taught the difference between playing and actually biting hard enough to hurt by mama cat.

Good luck! If you're lucky you may find some teeth when he loses his baby teeth and his adult teeth come in. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah. He is cutting teeth big time. He is also quite young (only 10 weeks) and was taken from his mom too soon to learn "kitty etiquette"! Whenever he clamps down too hard, hiss loudly and take your hand away and ignore him for several seconds. That's how he would be taught the difference between playing and actually biting hard enough to hurt by mama cat.

Good luck! If you're lucky you may find some teeth when he loses his baby teeth and his adult teeth come in. :)
awwwww, I figured it had to be that because he is super cuddly and sweet. Thats usually what I do or I say a firm No! and that works. Im going to see if there's any teething toys for cats available too to help him. We got him from our local shelter which takes kittens/cats to our locat Pet Supermarket to be adopted so I guess him mommy was a stray cat :(

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can find some nice teething toys for him, keep one or 2 close by. When he gets nippy, distract him with one of those toys.

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can find some nice teething toys for him, keep one or 2 close by. When he gets nippy, distract him with one of those toys.
Will do!!

YuselinM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise