Teeth/mouth gums abnormal "tachy mm's"?

FosterFurEver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, yall,

Buddy is going through his bladder/crystals thing again, probably due to the fact that we just had a deck built and he was scared of all the noise. purr bebe :( Halfway thinking about PU, but we dunno yet. Anyway, that's not what this is about.

There's a check sheet they do at the vet, and the check box where it says teeth/mouth/guns, it said "abnormal," then, in the blank to fill in, they put, "tachy mm's"

Google won't tell me anything, but maybe someone here knows what it means? I know he has issues, but I've mostly had vets tell me that surgery isn't usually helpful and to try dental treats, though they may work or not. I try to brush his teeth, but he's not having it. Trying for a few seconds a couple times a day for a while, and he's still just NOPE about it. Anyway, idk, I was just wondering what that means.

Help?
Thanks!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Tachy is a medical prefix that means rapid, as in tachycardia = rapid heartbeat.

Not sure what mm's are an abbreviation for. Could you call your vet and ask what this means?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FosterFurEver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tachy is a medical prefix that means rapid, as in tachycardia = rapid heartbeat.

Not sure what mm's are an abbreviation for. Could you call your vet and ask what this means?
I thought that's what it might mean, but in relation to oral health?

I'll call them Monday; I just thought I'd ask here.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
In Australia in veterinary terms, MMs are mucus membranes. I imagine it's the same over there. :) The 'tachy' could actually be 'tacky' as in sticky, which can be a sign of dehydration. But honestly, it's something to ask your vet.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The description of the gums mean that the mucus membranes are dry and the patient is most likely dehydrated. This would be considered with other signs of dehydration such as sunken eyes or a delayed skin tent. That is where if you lift the skin around the scruff and gently pull it up and let it go, it should snap right back. A delay can mean dehydration. Other factors that could cause a delay would be recent weight loss and or age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FosterFurEver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In Australia in veterinary terms, MMs are mucus membranes. I imagine it's the same over there. :) The 'tachy' could actually be 'tacky' as in sticky, which can be a sign of dehydration. But honestly, it's something to ask your vet.
This is exactly what they told me today. Not dehydrated, but he's had issues with his gums/teeth for years now. Thanks for everyone's replies.