Teeth care

lunatuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do your cats allow their teeth to be brushed? Does anyone give their cats the feline greenies for teeth? Luna will let me brush her teeth with my finger for about a minute. She loves the beef toothpaste but doesn't like to be forced. I give the greenies as a special treat rarely but I wonder if they are really good for her.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greenies only work by mechanical friction, but they are designed well for that purpose as they are large enough and don't prematurely shatter. Would be even better if they were coated like the dental kibbles.

If you look at the ingredients, they aren't that healthy, but they also aren't bad as far as treats go, and thats really what they are.

That said, mine get them everyday and we make a game of it and they LOVE it, and so far they don't have stinky breath and gums look fine to me. They get a small amount of fluoride in their drinking water as well, since my filter does not remove it.

However, once they are older I will probably adopt a more thorough tooth cleaning strategy, and eventually they will need teeth cleaning from a vet. For young kitties though, IMO just monitor em and throw em some greenies.