Teen Cat On And Off Soft Stools

RMO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I adopted a kitten three months ago. He is now 8 months old. He came from a rescue and adjusted to my home wonderfully well. He's grown quickly (and is large), very playful, all behavior normal. The only problem he's had is on and off soft stools. The vet checked him out. No parasites, no FIV or FelV. He appears healthy (except for ear mites, which were treated).

Vet put him on 7 days of Metronidazole. He still had the occasional soft stool (he poops one to two times per day, only in the box). Vet prescribed another 7 days of Metronidazole; he's on the third day of that. Last night he had a normal stool, this morning another soft stool. I wouldn't even call his stool "diarrhea" in the sense that it's not very liquid or frequent. Just on and off soft.

Has anyone had this problem with a teen cat? Thanks in advance.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Any recent food changes? Sometimes that will cause loose stools until the cat's system gets adjusted to the new food - especially if it wasn't a gradual change. He could also be semi-allergic to something in the food, whether or not it is new.

Also, I have heard numerous cases where Metro either doesn't work or causes loose stool itself (it is one of the possible side effects).

• Purraise
Reactions: RMO
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RMO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, FO. My 5 cats eat Orijen (supposed to be top quality) and have for the past year. Honestly, I suspect that Orijen recently changed their formula. Just subtle things with my older cats...more itchiness, very occasional slightly loose stools...although those things could also have been from changes in canned food. I have not found a canned food my cats like or tolerate well in months. For now, I'm just staying with dry food only.

Anyway, the teen kitten's loose stool issue began the day after feeding a new canned food. Vet said no more canned food at all until he's an adult. She suggested kitten food, which I gave to him Monday night (this is Wed. morning). Problem is, older cats are just too old to change from free feeding to scheduled. I tried, and my 2 eldest were very upset and 1 vomited bile during the night. So returned to free feeding with the Orijen. Teen kit could have had the somewhat loose stool this morning from that Monday night feeding change OR - like you pointed out - the Metro. is actually causing some tummy upset.

Needless to say, I feel like I'm in a loop of "what-ifs" and just feeling terribly unsettled, not sure of what to do, but not wanting to make any more changes, as I just want things to settle down.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, when these things happen it is an agonizing process of trial and error.

I gather your comment about the kitten food and your other cats being too old to change, means they are eating the kitten food? How about feeding the kitten his food separately away from the other cats - and, then leave the Orijen down for all three of them to free feed from?

I don't know when the older cat threw up bile, but if that continues then a vet visit is in order.

• Purraise

RMO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, everybody is now eating the Orijen. I did feed kitten separately, but he eats the Orijen left out for everybody.

My oldest guy has a delicate system, so the vomiting bile was almost surely a reaction to the swift change from free-feeding. His tummy just got too empty during the night when he had no food. Once we went back to free feeding, oldest guy is fine - thanks heavens.

And you are so right on! The trail-error...trial-error...over and again...I am trying to keep my sanity through all of this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, leave your old guys alone with their food apparently! What I meant with the kitten is feed him kitten food separately, and if he still wants to eat some of the Orijen that should be OK. Just trying to make sure he is getting the calories/nutrition from a kitten food even if he eats some of the 'adult' stuff too.

Once he is older, you can cut out the kitten food, and let them all eat Orijen. Compare the Orijen with the content of the kitten food, if the nutrients in Orijen are supportive enough for a kitten, then don't worry about the kitten food.

Then, the trial and error of canned food will come into play again later if you want your youngest cat to eat wet as well as dry.

• Purraise

RMO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, yes, I understand. Do you think that switching kitten back and forth between kitten food and Orijen would cause a problem? Or, perhaps mix the kitten food with some Orijen? Or, perhaps wait until he finishes the Metro course and see how he's doing then, before making any more changes?

And yeas...I'm leaving the canned food for at least a month down the line. The canned food thing has been just nutty.

I sure appreciate your input. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see what you are saying. Have you even tried the kitten food yet?

But, yeah, probably stay the course with Orijen until the soft stool is consistently gone. Then, if you start up with the kitten food, just do a small amount mixed with the Orijen and increase it over time. If the soft stool comes back at any point in that process, you can probably "write off" that particular food from your list, and move on to something else.

• Purraise

RMO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did try the kitten food once, Monday night. A complete change for him. I'm wondering if his somewhat soft stool of this morning was a reaction to that one feeding of kitten food.

I like your idea. I am immensely grateful for your help with this frustrating issue. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats can't eat dry food only without getting sick. I would reconsider and add some canned food to his diet, they really need the moisture.