Teaser causing aggression in kitten?

mizheidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just bought Wally a feather teaser last night and gave it to him for an early Christmas. He was loving it! Chasing that thing all over the place, jumping it, pouncing it like nobody's business! Well, within a couple hours, I was petting him, and he playfully attacked my arm, this is the first time he's done that (he's only been with us about 10 days now). Grabbing on with both front paws and biting. He's only a few months old, so it's not that painful, but obviously we want to stop this behavior now. He then did it to my husband later, then my daughter. I'm not liking that, playful or not. I started thinking about it after he did it to my daughter again this morning, and I'm wondering if that teaser got him all hyped up and thinking it was ok to do that to our arms? Any advice?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you should discourage any biting before it becomes a habit. By the way, biting comes in different degrees for each young kitten. There are those who do not and never will bite, some who do it once in a while and the naughty ones who seem to be born for it. 

I have a rescued kitten now and she was a biter the first month. With a lot of hissing, blowing on her face, a loud NO and sometimes just redirecting her attention she is now aware that biting humans is not acceptable. I also suspect she is teething because she sinks her teeth in all her toys. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizheidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! I sure hope my little guy is one of those once in awhile types, lol, and hopefully like yours, he'll end up stopping right away! The couple times he's tried to get me today, i've blown on him, followed by a NO. So far, so good.