Tear Marks..

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so, my cat that I got recently had some tear marks on his face. I thought (oh no big deal, his eyes look clear and not irritated and he is not showing any discharge signs, just the eye boogers externally. I then started noticing that he has been developing excess tear production. I can see the tears forming in his eyes at times. He is vaccinated (as much as he can be at 9 weeks) and the vets who saw him in china seemed to see nothing wrong. No sneezing or anything like that. I have heard in excess tear production but, is there a way that I can decrease the amount of eyeboogers? They can sometimes cause irritation to the sides of his eyes. All they said here was “just pick up some human stuff you can use that” but I’m not convinced. I will take him to a better vet soon, but I wanted to know if there is no cure of if this is a cure that they may not have here, in more veterinary developed countries?

2AA14791-8CDB-43C8-92E6-B364C979FD66.jpeg
D94B022C-B4EC-4937-B867-E9AFE0090597.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs breeds Persians and might know of a product you can safely use around your cat's eyes. Wiping the boogers away is safe. There may be a product to remove discoloration around the eyes.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, like you would be a bit afraid of using human eye drops on him? I agree a better vet visit might be for the best.

Maybe he has allergies, or even a slight eye infection? My little white cat will have this occasionally, but not to the extent of your kitten, and not often, i think with her its occasional allergies, as she only does it a day or so a few times a year.
He is a super cute little guy! do keep us updated with him :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I, like you would be a bit afraid of using human eye drops on him? I agree a better vet visit might be for the best.

Maybe he has allergies, or even a slight eye infection? My little white cat will have this occasionally, but not to the extent of your kitten, and not often, i think with her its occasional allergies, as she only does it a day or so a few times a year.
He is a super cute little guy! do keep us updated with him :heartshape:
I took him to a vet, and they said he was fine :( when I got his shots. But I will reattempt tomorrow or the day after, whenever I can find free time. I hope it is not “herpes”. I know a lot of the cat population has it but he is a show prospect for me, so I hope that I can figure out a solution! I had several people saying “don’t breed or show him, those eyes are terrible”. I even had one girl call him “worse than a black sheep.” I was astounded because I thought he had good features, and he matched the coloring standard of the breed, is pedigree, and is features seemed to breed standard, but I’m just a novice.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some short-faced cats have runny eyes because their tear ducts do not work properly. This is more frequently seen in Persians but can occur in other short-faced cats. Your cat may have some Persian in his background, also.
Eye Discharge or Epiphora in Cats

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet was probably referring to using contact lens solution to clean the eyes. You can use saline also. The best product I have found isEye Envy. Don’t use in the eye, only around. May I ask what breed is your cat? Herpes will not stop from showing. Use L-lysine to stop the virus from replicating. It isn’t much different from when humans have a cold.

Last edited: