Teaching kitten tricks?

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I was wondering how early i could start with teaching my kitten tricks, for example, coming when i call her name. She's currently 9 weeks old and a very playful little girl. I'm just not sure how i should train/teach her and when a good time for that would be.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clicker training is the best and easiest way to teach tricks. There's no reason why you couldn't start now. Just be sure you don't ask for anything physically demanding (i.e. anything where she's supporting her weight on her back end) until she's older. Things like coming to call, sitting, lying down etc are fine. 
[article="30493"]Clicker Training For Cats  [/article]

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to do this myself, lol. My kitties are fed mostly wet food, and love dry food as a treat. They also love Vet's Best Hairball remedy tablets, they make sure to lick up every spec of powder. I've been using both to try to get them to learn their name. The thing is, at this point, I feel like they know when I'm calling their names but they just don't bother to get up and walk over to me, lol. They come over to me right away when I shake the tupperware container that has the dry food, so I try to say their names at that time as well. They also come to me when I call their name and tap the floor, and once they get to the exact spot I'm tapping on, I give them some hairball remedy.

There's also clicker training, but I have no amount of consistency or will for more involved training. :)

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/training-your-cat

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The trick with training cats is to keep sessions short and sweet - literally a few minutes at a time. Find a treat they go really wild for, and NEVER give it at any other time. Cat's aren't programmed to please the way dogs are, so motivation needs to be extra strong/exciting. It can be done, but it takes a LOT of patience! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Clicker training is the best and easiest way to teach tricks. There's no reason why you couldn't start now. Just be sure you don't ask for anything physically demanding (i.e. anything where she's supporting her weight on her back end) until she's older. Things like coming to call, sitting, lying down etc are fine. 
[article="30493"]Clicker Training For Cats  [/article]
Thank you very much for the tips! I'll definitely try that out :)

I've been trying to do this myself, lol. My kitties are fed mostly wet food, and love dry food as a treat. They also love Vet's Best Hairball remedy tablets, they make sure to lick up every spec of powder. I've been using both to try to get them to learn their name. The thing is, at this point, I feel like they know when I'm calling their names but they just don't bother to get up and walk over to me, lol. They come over to me right away when I shake the tupperware container that has the dry food, so I try to say their names at that time as well. They also come to me when I call their name and tap the floor, and once they get to the exact spot I'm tapping on, I give them some hairball remedy.

There's also clicker training, but I have no amount of consistency or will for more involved training. :)

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/training-your-cat

The trick with training cats is to keep sessions short and sweet - literally a few minutes at a time. Find a treat they go really wild for, and NEVER give it at any other time. Cat's aren't programmed to please the way dogs are, so motivation needs to be extra strong/exciting. It can be done, but it takes a LOT of patience! 
I tried the tapping with the command "Come here" but she just stared at my finger. I'm planning on getting a clicker aswell but my treat reward just isn't that much of a convincing motivational force. I'm trying to find a treat that she'll go crazy for. I've currently got "Soft Snack Kitty Stars" which she doesn't really react to unless i hold them directly beneath her face.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Clicker training works very well if the cat is food-driven. The trick is finding a treat she finds irresistible. Something with a strong smell like cheese or freeze-dried tuna usually gets their attention fast. You might find that a kitten that age has a very short attention span, but it's worth a try if you don't expect her to learn too much too fast. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing how clicker training works for cats. I've found that a clicker/pointer combination works best in the early days.

Last edited:

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One way to get your kitty more interested in treats could be to have schedule meal times (fed once every couple hours), if you're not doing so already. This way, you could try to get her to come to you for a small treat in between meal times or right before a meal time. Granted, your kitty is still very young, so it may be good to keep her free-feeding so she can eat any time she wants.

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm also going to start looking for a treat that's recommended from ananimal store.

One way to get your kitty more interested in treats could be to have schedule meal times (fed once every couple hours), if you're not doing so already. This way, you could try to get her to come to you for a small treat in between meal times or right before a meal time. Granted, your kitty is still very young, so it may be good to keep her free-feeding so she can eat any time she wants.
I have a bowl of plastic with "Whiskas Junior Torrfoder" (Swedish) that sits next to her ceramic bowl of water. And i feed her a spoon of soft chicken, that's kind of mushy, at 10am, 5 pm and 10pm everyday. I'm not quite sure if this is the best feeding schedule because it's my first time taking care of a kitten, or a cat in general.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually four meals a day are recommended for kittens, and you feed to appetite (i.e., as much as they're hungry for, but in small meals, so as not to overload their stomachs). You don't have to buy special cat treats - most cats love a little plain cooked chicken or turkey, for example.  If you want 'proper' cat treats, mine love Cosma Snackies and Thrive treats (both from Zooplus - the Swedish site is http://www.zooplus.se). 
[article="29721"]The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition  [/article]

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a kitten mama newbie myself. This forum has helped a lot in helping figure stuff out. :)

Kittens have smaller stomach capacities, and for a kitty this little, timing it out to four times a day may be better. And I think she'd need to eat a whole lot more than a spoonful at each meal. At 9 weeks, I'm assuming she may weigh around 2lbs, and at a very generalized estimate, that means she'd be good to eat around 4 ozs of wet food per day (1 oz per meal time).

To be more specific about it, this is a link to the feline caloric calculator (not sure how accurate this is, but seems about right): http://petsci.co.uk/feline-calorie-calculator/

If your kitty is at around 2lbs, she could be eating up to 163 kcals per day (though it depends on the kitty). Most wet canned food lists the amount of kcal on their label, but usually, I've noticed that a 6oz can contains anywhere from 150 - 200 kcals/can.

Also, on a side note, it seems that plastic food bowls can give cats facial acne, so it may be good to get a ceramic or metal food bowl for her as well. Something flat like a saucer would work well :)

Last edited:

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Usually four meals a day are recommended for kittens, and you feed to appetite (i.e., as much as they're hungry for, but in small meals, so as not to overload their stomachs). You don't have to buy special cat treats - most cats love a little plain cooked chicken or turkey, for example.  If you want 'proper' cat treats, mine love Cosma Snackies and Thrive treats (both from Zooplus - the Swedish site is http://www.zooplus.se). 
[article="29721"]The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition  [/article]

I'm a kitten mama newbie myself. This forum has helped a lot in helping figure stuff out. :)

Kittens have smaller stomach capacities, and for a kitty this little, timing it out to four times a day may be better. And I think she'd need to eat a whole lot more than a spoonful at each meal. At 9 weeks, I'm assuming she may weigh around 2lbs, and at a very generalized estimate, that means she'd be good to eat around 4 ozs of wet food per day (1 oz per meal time).

To be more specific about it, this is a link to the feline caloric calculator (not sure how accurate this is, but seems about right): http://petsci.co.uk/feline-calorie-calculator/

If your kitty is at around 2lbs, she could be eating up to 163 kcals per day (though it depends on the kitty). Most wet canned food lists the amount of kcal on their label, but usually, I've noticed that a 6oz can contains anywhere from 150 - 200 kcals/can.

Also, on a side note, it seems that plastic food bowls can give cats facial acne, so it may be good to get a ceramic or metal food bowl for her as well. Something flat like a saucer would work well :)
Thank you very much, both of you! I'm going to change her schedule to four meals a day. Unfortunately there's no kcal on the can but i'll try and giving her somewhere around a full tablespoon.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That calculator is a great tool, but you really don't need to get too hung up about calories for kittens - feeding to appetite, but little and often really is fine. Most people achieve this by leaving a bowl of kibble out 24/7 and feed 4 small wet meals a day.

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That calculator is a great tool, but you really don't need to get too hung up about calories for kittens - feeding to appetite, but little and often really is fine. Most people achieve this by leaving a bowl of kibble out 24/7 and feed 4 small wet meals a day.
Exactly what i do. I've got a bowl of kibble out and feed her three times. Now to change it to four times a day :)

The topic got a little sidetracked but thanks everyone who gave tips and took their time to help. It's appreciated!

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i began trying to get her to acknowledge that the clicker sound indicated that she'd get a treat, but she's not very fond of treats. Today, instead of using treats, i used her favourite toy after each clicker sound for a couple of seconds. Her favourite toy is my bracelet..

I'm planning on using this method to get her to acknowledge that click = funtime with my bracelet.

I'll keep doing this for about a week, maybe two to three times a day, but i'm not sure what to do when it comes to teaching her actual tricks. She just seems unresponsive at times when i try talking to her or get her attention for the most time. She's mostly focused on exploring and playing so how would i incorporate my voice into teaching her to come to me if she's so unresponsive? She has no problem with me picking her up and she'll gladly stay in my arms unless she's in a playful mood, then she squirms away. She's a tough one..

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to find a 'jackpot' food for her - something so irresistibly yummy that she can't help but focus on it. Play just doesn't work so well as a reward - especially in the early stages. Remember, you don't have to use cat treats. Plain meat is great, most cats go nuts for bonito/dried tuna flakes. Go for something really smelly - the stinkiest foods are often the most irresistible!

simplyxtarek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You need to find a 'jackpot' food for her - something so irresistibly yummy that she can't help but focus on it. Play just doesn't work so well as a reward - especially in the early stages. Remember, you don't have to use cat treats. Plain meat is great, most cats go nuts for bonito/dried tuna flakes. Go for something really smelly - the stinkiest foods are often the most irresistible!
Hm.. I thought playtime would work because she goes absolutely nuts when i show her my bracelet. She starts rolling around with it and never letting it out of sight.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a little uncomfortable about using a bracelet as a cat toy. If it broke, there are just too many bits that could get swallowed by accident. Try it if you want, but I honestly think the right food would be a better motivation  - not to mention safer.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She might simply be too young for treats and clicker training - young kittens are very easily distracted.
That's a very good point. There's no harm in having a go with her (keep session lengths to about 1min at this age), but if she's not ready, don't push it. You have her whole life to work with her - there's no point in fighting her over it.