Teaching Adult Cats To Wear Collars?

DorianH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there! I'd like to teach my adult cats to wear collsrsbut I'm not sure how to do it? They all get upset when I put the collar on, and I wonder if a harness would be better?
Can cats wear harnesses like collars? I want to get tags and such for my three, but if they won't wear a collar there's no point.
Any advice?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Put the collars on and leave them on. The cats will get used to them in a few hours. I had one cat I could not get used to a harness. He would hide in a corner or walk on his belly no matter how long I left the harness on. He wore a collar without any problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DorianH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The two youngest cats will wear a harness but aren't happy about it. The oldest I've never tried.

Should I get the breakaway collars, or regular?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Either breakaway or ones that will go over their heads so they don’t get trapped if the collar gets caught on something.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We put a breakaway collar with a tag and a bell on a 10 year old cat who had never worn one before, and she didn't have a problem with it. It's been five years now and she's fine with wearing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DorianH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How tight should the collars be? Loose enough to get a finger under or is that too tight?

I've never owned pets who have worn collars before, sorry for all the questions