teaching a cat to use the litter box and socializing

smithfamily2012

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got our little adopted kitties home and for the last couple of hours have let them run around our home freely. They are very scared right now and wont cometo us. Actually they run from us. The litter box is in our hall bathroom and I have shownthe, the litter box once when we got home. Should I confine them to that area? And what is the best wayto get them usedto us?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
When cats and kittens first arrive in a new home they often feel safer and more relaxed if in a small, more confined area so I tend to opt for the room they seem to feel most comfortable and set them up in there with their food, water and litter.  If your home is large you can also run the risk of a cat getting a bit lost and not finding the box in time, esp if a young kitten that can get carried away playing and then need to find the box quickly.  Kittens have usually been tought how to use their litter by their mom but if there seems to be an issue you can show them the box.

This bathroom may be the best place for you to do this, think about your home and decide where will suit you and your kitten the best, but make sure it is warm and comfortable, and you maintain regular contact with him or her in there so you start to bond and get used to each other.  It is sometimes easier to choose a more comfortable room than a bathroom, say a bedroom or spare room so it is comfortable for all of you, and reasonably quiet for the cat or kitten.  Then you can go in and sit with the kitten, read or chat, and listen to music, and play games in there with toy mice, feather wands, fishing rods and the like without having to go out in to big scary spaces.

Mouse chose my bedroom so he was in with me from day one, and he still goes to hide in there if he feels under the weather or nervous for some reason.

Last edited:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We just got our little adopted kitties home and for the last couple of hours have let them run around our home freely. They are very scared right now and wont cometo us. Actually they run from us. The litter box is in our hall bathroom and I have shownthe, the litter box once when we got home. Should I confine them to that area? And what is the best wayto get them usedto us?
 would be best to confine little kitties to one room actually...until they are comfortable with their new home and most importantly you guys

1) keep kitties either in your bedroom with food, water and litter box, or another designated room with food, water and litter box. letting them have free reign of the house might be too scary for them ATM, and the worse thing that could happen right now is that kitties would hide some place and it would be difficult for you to find them. Keeping them to one room while they adjust to their surroundings is also a good way to keep track of how much they're eating, and to eliminate any chances of there being accidents outside the litter box (as litter box with be in close reach for them at all times), and keep track of if they're using the litter box properly

2) when you bring kitty food, try to sit down on the floor with them, either next to them or behind them, and pet them while they eat. and try to talk to them in a calm soothing voice. it will help for them to bond with your faster

3) spend some time in the cat room, sit on the floor with them and read to kitties. you can read a book, a magazine, your emails, fb or IG comments or whatever, this will help them get used to your voice.

4) leave articles of worn clothing in kitties room. so that they have something with your scent on it. they need to get used to your scent, so they can feel safe with you. 

you'll start to notice when your cats are more confident, you can leave the door open and they will venture out on their own. but for now keeping them confined until they get their bearings straight is the best option.