teach manners?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how can i teach my kittens and cat manners? when it comes to me eating. they try to get the food from me, or want to see what it is.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have been able to teach our cats many things... it seems that it all comes down to being consistent with them. Our cats were interested in our food at first... but we just kept pushing them back or blocking them from getting into our laps. Eventually they figured out that they weren't welcome during mealtimes. Do your best to ignore them as you do this. Also, keep in mind that everyone needs to be consistent with the training (including any kids in the house). Another thing to remember is that if you give them and inch they will take a mile- We let one cat have a bit of cheese off a plate two weeks ago (we were just sitting back after the meal was over and the cat was sitting nearby being too cute so we offered him a little piece) and they kept trying for more for about a week.  We also trained them not to go on the coffee table, only to eat out of their own food bowls, not to go in the mudroom, and to go no further than the doorway of the bedroom. They will always be watching and waiting for the day we let them break the rules... but all it takes is a word from us and they stop doing whatever it is they were doing wrong.

Good Luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Physical punishment never works with cats, so you have to get creative. A loud startle noise, like clapping or saying 'no' loudly works, it can get their minds off of what they were doing. Ignoring them and giving them a 5 minute 'time out' works well too, especially for biting or scratching. For something like food stealing, push them away saying no in a firm voice or keep a favored toy by your side you can distract them with. My elder cat always wants to see what we have too, but he is so spoiled we let him sniff (from a distance) and then he goes away, he NEVER eats any! It's almost like a ritual now. Some cats are pretty persistent, so I agree with the above, you must be consistent in any training. As a last resort they may have to be put in another room while you eat, but it's really hard to watch those paws come under the door! Good luck !

ravynkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's just a matter of patience and consistency. My two older ones may be curious as to what I'm eating but I've taught them not to "beg" or try to steal. I've let them come close and smell it, but I've ALWAYS told them, "no" and gently pushed them aside. They do learn. Be patient and calm about it. However,  if I leave any food out that they might just have their way with it. They're animals and have no form of punishment/consequence so I know better than to think they won't get at my food if I leave the room!

Good luck, you can do it!

juliek1975

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat on how easy they are to train, my cat Nestle loves to beg for us to share a morsel.  I do give in if I'm not at the table, but only if he is being polite.  One day by mere accident I figured something out.  He was getting way too close to my plate as I sat eating on the sofa and I told him "Nestle, mind your manners." and surprisingly he politely sat down and waited.  Ever since that's all I have to say and he will sit and wait because he doesn't get to share unless he's sitting.  Also surprisingly he will actually eat almost anything, even vegetables, maybe that's why he was so easy to train, because he just really likes to sample what his human's are eating. So he's the example of easy to train.  My 9 year old cat Fritos however, doesn't beg very often, but when he smells something that he "thinks" he really wants he is in your face.  We would tell him no and put him down a million times and he would just come right back up, finally we had to resort to putting him in another room as soon as he'd start the behavior and eventually he calmed down and now has learned his manners and will just tap you on the knee to remind you he is there.  Of course if we do offer him a bite he usually sniffs and walks away anyhow, but that's a kitty for you...lol.