TCS Book Club! A Dog Named Slugger discussion

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the book club didn't finish without me and I just didn't see the thread...

But anyhow, the reason I couldn't read A Dog Named Slugger during April was because unfortunately it was on hold at the library the whole time. I got it two days ago, and throughly enjoyed it. (You can tell by how fast I read it.)

Now hopefully we've all had time to read it, and now for discussion time!

*Fingers crossed that this thread hasn't already been made...*

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't read it, couldn't find it and I don't live near a real library. What I did find was a bit on the net was not enough to make me order the book from the bookmobile nor order it online - I just don't read autobiographical books as for the most part, they are trite and meaningless.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

I didn't read it, couldn't find it and I don't live near a real library. What I did find was a bit on the net was not enough to make me order the book from the bookmobile nor order it online - I just don't read autobiographical books as for the most part, they are trite and meaningless.
This is far from a "trite and meaningless"Biograpy. I'll be glad to discuss it more in depth but I'm waiting for someone else to start the discussion.LOL.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

This is far from a "trite and meaningless"Biograpy. I'll be glad to discuss it more in depth but I'm waiting for someone else to start the discussion.LOL.
I did manage to find an exerpt online, and I couldn't even get through it. Sorry to say, I did find it trite, and I couldn't even get through the few pages of the exerpt. From that bit, I know I couldn't slog through that book anymore than most readers could slog though the historical and scientific documents that I find fascinating - for example, nothing quite fascinates me as much as steam power, and I can read about that all day. pretty dry reading for most people.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I did manage to find an exerpt online, and I couldn't even get through it. Sorry to say, I did find it trite, and I couldn't even get through the few pages of the exerpt. From that bit, I know I couldn't slog through that book anymore than most readers could slog though the historical and scientific documents that I find fascinating - for example, nothing quite fascinates me as much as steam power, and I can read about that all day. pretty dry reading for most people.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I can think of things a lot more trite than this, perhaps I'm a bit more openminded?

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I can think of things a lot more trite than this, perhaps I'm a bit more openminded?
I don't think openminded has much to do with it, just the thing that makes us all individuals. It would be darned boring if everyone liked the same thing, now, wouldn't it? I also find romance novels, even historically correct period works, to be trite and boring and the common ones to be even worse.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I don't think openminded has much to do with it, just the thing that makes us all individuals. It would be darned boring if everyone liked the same thing, now, wouldn't it? I also find romance novels, even historically correct period works, to be trite and boring and the common ones to be even worse.
My vote goes to "No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club," by Virginia Ironside.
Seriously, how is this discussion related to the online group ? Given that everyone has different tastes and primary interests, presumably there is some kind of set process by which the group selects books. I'm not a contributing member either. If you don't like it, find another conversation to join..

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've read it, but have read 30 or more other books since then, so will have to skim through it again. The book was very informative and enjoyable to read. Despite having gone through school with a guy with cerebral palsy, I learned a lot about CP. Although there was nothing "new" about dog training in it, the information about how Slugger was trained and how the two of them worked to become a team was interesting. The book gave a lot of insight into just how invaluable a service dog can be to the handicapped.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, reading about how Slugger was trained was very interesting to me. Also, since she has CP I'm interested since I have it too, but in a milder form. I loved the last two sentences in the book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread isn't about arguing about what kind of books we like.

Anyhow, I didn't know very much at all about CP before reading the book, so now I have a bit better understanding. I also didn't know about the whole process of finding a service dog perfect for you.

The writing may not be the best, but I find that books that are written to share a story aren't always made by the best writers. I think that it adds to it, as you can tell that the writer is just a normal person.

Overall, I found the book thoroughly enjoyable.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

This thread isn't about arguing about what kind of books we like.

Anyhow, I didn't know very much at all about CP before reading the book, so now I have a bit better understanding. I also didn't know about the whole process of finding a service dog perfect for you.

The writing may not be the best, but I find that books that are written to share a story aren't always made by the best writers. I think that it adds to it, as you can tell that the writer is just a normal person.

Overall, I found the book thoroughly enjoyable.
Me too, of course I'm a sucker for animal stories.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I loved the book. I learned a lot about cp and how they train the service dogs. I find service.dogs and the training they go through fascinating. I thought it was really sad that Leigh spent so much of her life ashamed of her disability.