Tassee Is Going Back On Can Cat Food

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
our vet told us that the better food is canned now the question is how much do I give her she gets fed morning and evening ive been those big 5 oz cans in halve but when I toss them in the garbage in the laundry room she will tip it over I usually put the other halve in the cabinet should it be refridge she comes to me like around 10 or eleven at night for more food so we just leave the dry food out when I close my bed room door she doesn't meow by the door I wish I couild leave it open but I know she isn't going to let me sleep

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, you should refrigerator it, but how old is she? If less than a year she needs to eat as much as she wants.
Is she older but highly active?
She may need more food. I'm on my phone and have difficulty linking to them but there are adult cat body charts you can review.

Overnight kibble isn't a terrible thing, it's what my boy gets :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we found she is maybe five or six she is extremely active she runs from room to room and loves to play

How old is she, and what brand and flavor/formula of food are you feeding her?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she seems to like anything with gravy and she loves fishy flaver when ever me and my mom eat she will sit in front of my mom she knows she will feed her some times she watches my mom hand movement we think she five or six we adopted her a year ago right now we are trying different brands she is getting fancy feast or friskies the vet suggested wellness which Walmart doesn't carry I haven't checked pet go yet

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chain pet stores like Petco, Petsmart, etc sell Wellness and other better quality foods. Independent pet stores may also sell Wellness, etc plus the really high quality brands.

Most people feed by calories, not amount of a can. The general rule of thumb is 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. So a 10 lb cat will need roughl ybetween 200 to 250 calories daily. Here's a chart you can use to find calorie content of canned foods: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

3 oz cans of foods tend to be less than 100 calories so you'd need to feed 2 or 3 cans daily if not a bit more and that adds up in cost over time. It makes more economical sense to buy larger 5.5 oz cans. One 5.5 oz can has almost enough calories for a cat. Add in a 3 oz can or part of another 5.5 oz can for the rest of the calories. Pet stores often sell cans of food by the case.

A partial can of food should be refrigerated. Pet stores sell lids for cans of food. A sandwich baggie or just plastic wrap also works.

Can you keep the laundry room door closed so your cat can't get into the trash to dig out the yummy smelling empty cans? Or put a child safety lock on the trash can? Rinsing the cans out with water before putting into the trash helps some. If you have freezer space, put the empty cans in there and just remember to take them out on trash day.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gravy kinds have fewer calories than pate foods. Check the can for the calorie count, if it's not on there check the company's website. Start with 20 calories per pound, and adjust that up or down as her weight dictates.