Tasha

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've made the difficult decision that Tasha simply isn't happy in our home & with two young babies we don't have the time to help her become more socialized and a happy healthy cat. So she's leaving us for an appartment with my sister (where she can get more exposure to people & hopefully become more socialized) in about a month.

I can NOT get her to the vet to get a tranq, I'll be SUPER lucky if we can get her into the carrier once to get her down to my sister's. It's going to be a 3 hour drive. I think Tasha has only been in a carrier once, when we brought her home from the OSPCA.

Any suggestions for what I can do to make the ride okay for a kitty who is going to be VERY stressed out by the whole thing?

There is the obvious of getting her used to the carrier now by feeding her in it & keeping it dark and quiet on the drive - anything else?

I'm going to miss her terribly, she may be totally wild, but those few moments she's cuddled up to me & let me pet her - there is a really sweet little girl in there just trying to get out! And at least this way, I can still visit her & get updates on how she is doing

Any suggestions for the little sister? It's a 2 bedroom appartment with a roommate. I was going to suggest she make a nice quiet spot for Tasha in a closet so she can hide/get used to them the first few days, then take it slowly from there.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was transporting my ferals to the low-cost clinic, I put a towel over their carriers. Didn't hear a peep out of them the entire time. And I think playing the radio softly helped too. DO NOT open the carrier during the trip at all. That could be a real disaster.

Try not to make it so you have to force her into her carrier.....that will just start the trip off on the wrong foot. Try to get her to go in herself for a treat or food, and sneak the carrier door shut without her noticing.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

When I was transporting my ferals to the low-cost clinic, I put a towel over their carriers.
Yea, the towel thing works for me too.

But I've seen calming treats sold in pet shops. Perhaps those can help also.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that you're rehoming Tasha. But, it sounds like you are acting in everyone's best interest and the fact that you've found her a wonderful, loving home with your sister (where you can get updates and even be able to visit her) is terrific. I hope Tasha is able to grow and become the kitty she's meant to be while in her new home...

As far as getting Tasha in the carrier, I'd suggest leaving it out and open for a few days leading up to the move. This way, she can get used to seeing the carrier and smelling it. Put a comfy blanket in there or something you've worn so that is can be seen as a comfortable place rather than a scary one. Perhaps you can put in some of her favorite treats or even some catnip to entice her into the carrier once the time comes to leave. I would do everything possible not to force her into the carrier. And, once she's in, I definitely second using a towel to cover the carrier.

And, once she's at your sister's house, have her put Tasha (while still in the carrier) into her safe room and allow Tasha to come out and explore at her own pace. Eventually, she will, but it may take some time. Make sure your sister understands this. Tasha sounds like she's a sweetheart, but absolutely terrified. In time, the hope, of course, is that she acclimates to being around humans and other animals. But, that's not always the case. It seems like you've found this out and are doing what you can to ensure Tasha has a happy, healthy life, but please educate your sister so that Tasha will always have a home. Many people have high expectations and with cats that's not always a positive. I'd hate to hear later that she was sent to the shelter for behaving the only way they know how. It sounds like you've thought this through and know what you're doing, but I'm just offering suggestions of what I'd do.

Good luck and please continue to give us updates on Tasha. Maybe your sister will even join TCS?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas guys - I don't know anything about the calming treats.

I don't think putting something any of us have worn will help her - she's terrified of us; but maybe something she sleeps on or that smells like the dogs.

We bought the kitties some canned for for the last couple days as a nice treat & I've already noticed a huge change in Tasha
. She actually let me pet her the other day & even ran up to me in the kitchen to MOW at me. She definitely still needs a smaller/more socializing space - but she's such a sweet cat I just know my li'l sis is going to fall head over heels for her.

I'm in BIG trouble with the parents as my sister is supposed to be taking HER cats... but I've offered a swap if that's really necessary, and in that case Tasha's move would be temporary