Tarzan The Spotted Cat

Momelis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After I lost - after a long battle against kidneys failure - my beloved 18years old white angora cat in June, this stray guy decided that my house is his house and my bed is his bed. I noticed from the start he's a bit weird compared to other cats around. I called him Tarzan 'cause he jumps and climbs as high as he can. Got back legs like a frog, black paws, he's spotted, and got a huge mark on his forehead. Yesterday out of curiosity I googled for "spotted cats". He seems to be kind of an Ocicat or to have some Egyptian Mau blood in his veins? Hard to tell! He loves cuddles but don't like to be picked up and I've read this is tipically Mau. Hope one day I can bring him to a vet to ask, if in meantime someone can tell a little from this pics...whatever, I love him the same, it's just to better understand his personality :)
tarzan1.jpg
tarzan2.jpg
tarzan3.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been neutered yet? His big cheeks make me wonder if he is a tomcat. When I was a child we found an old beat-up stray tomcat hanging around our house, at first he was a bit shy, but then we neutered him and he was such a wonderful cat... as sweet and affectionate as any cat could be. He looked very much like your guy... brown spotted tabby domestic shorthair.

I don't think your guy has any Ocicat or Mau ancestry, those breeds are uncommon and have quite distinct looks that are different from your guy. Most cats are domestics without any specific breeds in their ancestry. The spotted tabby pattern is fairly widespread in the domestic cat population and doesn't necessarily indicate specific breed ancestry. Enjoy your sweet guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Momelis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lutece, thanks for the hints, I have no idea of what a tomcat is, will search! No he's not neutered...he likes to be petted, even sleep with me, but it's impossible to pick him up...hope he will stay more indoor with the cold winter so he will become more sociable and I can try to take him to a vet ;)

Momelis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, so for sure he is :) Thanks

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He looks like my cat who ran away a month ago. My cat was a domestic shorthair tabby, but had spots on his side, rather than stripes. Someone told me he looked like a Bengal or Egyptian Mau.
hardly - I found him inside a pile of tires!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I love those tomcat cheeks so much!! Although he does need to be neutered. He also needs a vet, those eyes look concerning. To your question though, personality has little to do with breeds in that so many cats are greatly affected by their surroundings, upbringing and socialization that they can be wildly different, purebred or not.

I believe this cat has some ticked tabby coat and does not look like any particular breed. It would be rare to just happen on an Ocicat or Mau in the "wild". Majority of cats are just domestic mixes unless from a breeder. It isn't like a dog where the breeds vary so drastically in that you know if you find a Chihuahua vs a Doberman.

Momelis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey thank everyone! yes I'd like to bring him to a vet, but it's impossible to pick him up. He likes to be petted, but once I tried to pick him up and he ran away. I manged to give him anti parasites anway. And I'm sure many cats are just mixes of everything. What made me wonder what kind of ancestors he might have - more than the spots - are the back legs, long and thin, that make him looks like...a frog! :)

Momelis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I meant flea treatment!