tarry diarrhea - already went to vet...

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2 days ago my cat had formed poop in black tarry diarrhea - then within maybe 30 minutes total diarrhea...

he was fine after that!   Hes eating, peeing playing etc.

took him to the vet the next day for his diabetes blood work and the vet looked at his butt basically and that was it.

He did not poop at all yesterday.

Today - same exact situation as before.

Called the vet and she prescribed metronidarzole.

Any opinions???

I switched him from hills cd (had been on that FOREVER) then to wd and in the last 2 weeks hes been totally off dry and on fancy feast chicken classic.

Im hoping the new food is the cause - but again hes been eating this for 2 weeks is that possible??  (vet says no)

thanks for ANY help

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Is kitty indoors only? Do you know if the fancy feast is a different batch than what he was eating prior to the diarrhea? I certainly wouldn't rule out food as an issue, even if it has been 2 weeks. I personally had an issues with FF (caused projectile vomiting) and no longer feed it. Others on this site continue to feed FF without issue.

Metronidazole helps to reset the gut bacteria, so certainly may be enough to get him back on track.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok great.  Thanks!

Yes is only indoor.   11 years old and like i said his diet was strictly cd dry/wet for maybe 8 years...

So if fancy feast works for his diabetes (his numbers have been getting much better and vet suggests he may go into remission after only a few months on insulin - proving what a wet food diet can do I suppose) and if ff also keeps his crystals away....  Is it ok to continue feeding him this along with the meds?   Or is that just stupid...

I just fed him pumpkin along with the ff....

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
You certainly can continue him on his current diet and see if the metronidazole does the trick.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet didn't ask for a stool sample? "Black tarry" stool is indicative of upper GI bleeding. In my cat it was bleeding ulcers, and metro would NOT have treated it.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No she didnt - had no problem charging me $60 for an office fee to lift his tail up and "look".

Ive  had a horrible time with vets in my area - the other vet currently wants my 9 year old dog put down just because he doesnt know what's wrong other than she must have a "bad" disease.

ANYWAY _ just venting there for a bit.

Yeah I know it might be something serious.   He just went a third time and its now brownish although mucusy I suppose.  I could pick it up - still diarrhea but as opposed to it just seeping into the carpet immediately as before.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would assume it's the food change...even though it's been 2 weeks, some cats can't handle or tolerate certain brands or foods, so it  doesn't matter how much time goes by, the cat will still have runny stools. I would try another food to see if that changes things.

As a side note, be careful with pumpkin! Too much, and you'll get watery stools. Just a teaspoon a day should do the trick!

Last edited:

theresa31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't lije to cchange cat foods they always gwt sick either they throw up or get diarahha. I d put him back on old cat food to see if that helps. What can yiy loss.
2 days ago my cat had formed poop in black tarry diarrhea - then within maybe 30 minutes total diarrhea...

he was fine after that!   Hes eating, peeing playing etc.

took him to the vet the next day for his diabetes blood work and the vet looked at his butt basically and that was it.

He did not poop at all yesterday.

Today - same exact situation as before.

Called the vet and she prescribed metronidarzole.

Any opinions???

I switched him from hills cd (had been on that FOREVER) then to wd and in the last 2 weeks hes been totally off dry and on fancy feast chicken classic.

Im hoping the new food is the cause - but again hes been eating this for 2 weeks is that possible??  (vet says no)

thanks for ANY help

theresa31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
think its best to keep kitty on dry cat food. They do better on same old stuff. If it from vet speical high priced cat food. I keep them on that. I feed my cat meow mix dry cat food orginal they're used to that. I havw feed them science diet they did ok in that to. But i don't feed them outdoor or indoor cat food. Just oringal dry meow mix. It keeps them from getting diarrah. Yes they've had that. I have 8 cats.

theresa31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe if there new at your home too they might be "stressed out" from moving to new home. But it more likely switching cat food.give them the dry hillcd again. See if it gets better. I think it will. No canned. Just dry and no milk. :)

theresa31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't see where you said he is diabitic i do not know. I guess do what the vet says. That be best.
Ok great.  Thanks!

Yes is only indoor.   11 years old and like i said his diet was strictly cd dry/wet for maybe 8 years...

So if fancy feast works for his diabetes (his numbers have been getting much better and vet suggests he may go into remission after only a few months on insulin - proving what a wet food diet can do I suppose) and if ff also keeps his crystals away....  Is it ok to continue feeding him this along with the meds?   Or is that just stupid...

I just fed him pumpkin along with the ff....

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Hes continuing with constant brown diarrhea.

Just gave him first metronidazole and bought wd.

Since my vet didn't think it's food related I can't ask her..... how do I switch now.... mix or do it slowly or just give him new stuff.

Thanks so much! !!!!!! I hate seeing him in pain. How long for meds to work. ... anyone know?

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If switching dry food, it needs to be done gradually. If putting him on canned only (or starting a new flavor/brand of canned) you can do it cold turkey.

It can take 3-7 days for Metronidazole results to be seen, depending on what the cause is. How long is the course your vet gave you?

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. ... 7 days. And I continue like antibotic or stop if he is better. Fingers crossed of course.