Tarantulas and Snakes....

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, as I stated earlier frozen/ thawed mice.

I've owned Corn Snakes, Mexican Black Kingsnakes, Kingsnakes, Milksnakes, Garter Snakes, African House Snakes... & as for Reptiles Leopard Geckos & we have a Bearded Dragon

I only dont have a Boa or Python of any sort because my husband wont let me
I've broken him tho & now that finances are good, I can get a Ball Python in October when the Expo is in town.

ANYWAY. Cornsnakes, I've heard of RARE instances of them musking. My Mexican Black, My Albino Kingsnake & Milk snake NEVER musked me... Apparently I am 1 LUCKY person & picked some laid back hatchlings, those types of snakes as hatchlings when young TEND to musk when initally picked up, once, sometimes twice... they tend to settle down more when older... but some may not... mine were fine... so I had no idea what anyone was talking about
Apparently its quite stinky.

African House snakes are beautiful... they have longer teeth than the other mentioned snakes, thus even as little hatchlings, little strikes sting abit instead of being no big deal.

As far as stress. When you first get them home, you just place them in their vivarium & leave them alone for 3 days or so before you attempt any feeding or handling. Do not Handle your Snake 3 days after feeding to allow time for it to digest. Other than that you do not have to worry about stressing it out.

Dont use pine, aspen is a good substrate (bedding), give fresh water, food, thats all they want. Don't co-habitate them, they do not do that in the wild, they do not need friends, that is not how they work, snakes are solitary animals. Keep their home clean & nice hiding spots, warm on one side, (82-85 degrees, other side of the vivarium 70-75) & you'll have a happy snake.