Tapeworms

OliverNcompany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a semi feral/skittish stray that had been on the streets for around 4 years. She’s been having a bloated stomach that feels hard to the touch. I just found a very long tapeworm coming out of her after she used the litter box. She’s got a vet appointment tomorrow but I was just wondering if tapeworms cause a pot belly in cats? Pictures because she’s adorable :) in the one you can kind of see how her belly sticks out on the sides. Also, she was seen by the vet in November when we brought her in and tested negative for parasites. I know it’s hard to catch tapeworms on the tests though.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am glad that you are going to the vet; I am not a believer in using OTC products for worming. The only part that makes me wonder about your lovely, and clearly very happy, baby is that all tapeworms I have seen have been segmented smaller pieces which move in the feces if you observe them. Whatever the parasite is, the vet will handle it for you. See if you can bring a sample.

My indoor only cats have had tapeworms from time to time in a bad flea year, despite treatments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OliverNcompany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad that you are going to the vet; I am not a believer in using OTC products for worming. The only part that makes me wonder about your lovely, and clearly very happy, baby is that all tapeworms I have seen have been segmented smaller pieces which move in the feces if you observe them. Whatever the parasite is, the vet will handle it for you. See if you can bring a sample.

My indoor only cats have had tapeworms from time to time in a bad flea year, despite treatments.
Yes! I have had pets before with tape worms but it was the small segments that move. Strangely enough I have never see those in the litter box. I looked it up on Google (I know I know!) and I see it does happen sometimes with a long piece of work. I’m assuming it died and came out. So gross! But I’m glad that she will be getting Some help tomorrow.