Tapeworm

Waterlili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back again UTI is gone but now I’m worried my little one has a tapeworm. This was coming out there anus. It didn’t move but was rubbery. I checked the litter box and I didn’t see any. If so does revolution kill tapeworms? If not any other medicine that doesn’t envolve a huge vet bill before Xmas?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there. No, Revolution does not kill tapeworms (round worms, yes). However, just so you know (if you don't already), tapeworms ARE the result of a cat eating fleas. Doesn't happen all the time, but it can happen (it did to Feeby).

You could take a sample to the vet's office and ask it they can verify what type of worm it is and what the recommended treatment would be. If it is something they can determine, I would guess the cost for doing this would be nothing more than whatever they would charge you for the treatment - or at least, that is the way my vet works.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does look like a tapeworm segment. You can ask your vet for some Drontal (if the cat has been in recently most vets will let you get some without seeing the cat), or you can get Tapeworm Tabs from most pet stores or online. It should work and be safe if you buy from a reputable vendor and follow the directions.

Cats only get tapeworms from ingesting fleas while grooming themselves or from eating wildlife. So make sure the flea situation is taken care of (and if she's indoor-only you shouldn't have to worry about wildlife).