Tape Worm Or Round Worm, Please Help!

Kittykat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I’ve tried to find the answer to this everywhere but can’t seem to and I’m freaking out. I purchased a spot treatment for all worms for my cat today and de- warmed him about two hours ago after noticing a little white worm hanging from his butt this morning for the first time. Since worming him he had a big nap, when he woke up there were another two worms hanging from his butt!! Does this mean the treatment is working? Do the worms pass through the bum as well as the stool when being eliminated? Give me as much info as possible!! Thank you xxxxx

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Round worms look like strands of spaghetti, tape worms usually break up into segments and come out looking like grains of rice.

(Apologies if you were eating when you read that. :confused:)

I usually find worms in the litter box if a cat has had a particularly bad case of worms. Were the worms you found alive or dead?

It sounds as if he had a bad infestation, so you will need to repeat the treatment in 2 to 4 weeks time. Check the homepage of the product you used or ask your vet how soon you can repeat the treatment.

What brand of wormer did you use?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittykat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Round worms look like strands of spaghetti, tape worms usually break up into segments and come out looking like grains of rice.

(Apologies if you were eating when you read that. :confused:)

I usually find worms in the litter box if a cat has had a particularly bad case of worms. Were the worms you found alive or dead?

It sounds as if he had a bad infestation, so you will need to repeat the treatment in 2 to 4 weeks time. Check the homepage of the product you used or ask your vet how soon you can repeat the treatment.

What brand of wormer did you use?
Must be round worm then, I got the brand ExelPet and it says it kills all worms, larval and immature stages as well as if it has infected the lungs. It was really expensive so it better work. I’m honestly not sure if they were dead I bolted quick smart to get them off him but I’ll keep an eye out. Mainly just wanted to know if it was normal to have them exit the butt hole as a form of dying. Unfortunately the website of the product has no aftercare info and their phone line is closed so worried I’ll wake up and they’ll be all over his bum

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my cats, the roundworms just came out dead in the poop every morning for 3 days after giving them the de-wormer. I didn't have to clean them off the cat, they just came out in the poop and I scooped it. It looks like spaghetti hanging out of the poop log.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all, I’ve tried to find the answer to this everywhere but can’t seem to and I’m freaking out. I purchased a spot treatment for all worms for my cat today and de- warmed him about two hours ago after noticing a little white worm hanging from his butt

The first dose you gave yesterday isn't going to work by now so have patience :) It takes time for parasite medicine to fully work and it usually takes a few doses to fully kill the worm life cycle. Follow the instructions on the package for the proper dosing schedule. I found the product info online: VET SERIES Spot-On All-Wormer For Cats 2.5-5kg | EXELPET™ It says to give once every 3 months.

Many OTC products don't work very well. Can you take your cat to a vet for proper identification of the worms and get a proper prescription product?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend your giving veterinary prescription strength treatment, from your vet and not over-the-counter. And, be aware that you may have to treat your cat more than once even with a prescription wormer.

Also, look out for fleas and treat those too, as worms & fleas often go together.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, had to remove post, as I am not a vet and shouldn't be advising on particular meds.
But I can tell you it's pretty easy to treat and vet visit shouldn't be that costly.
I have used droncit-based meds in the past, but every cat is different!

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
p.s. You will also need to treat for fleas. If you have tapeworm, you have fleas (that is how they ingest the tapeworm).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittykat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first dose you gave yesterday isn't going to work by now so have patience :) It takes time for parasite medicine to fully work and it usually takes a few doses to fully kill the worm life cycle. Follow the instructions on the package for the proper dosing schedule. I found the product info online: VET SERIES Spot-On All-Wormer For Cats 2.5-5kg | EXELPET™ It says to give once every 3 months.

Many OTC products don't work very well. Can you take your cat to a vet for proper identification of the worms and get a proper prescription product?
I’m taking him tomorrow as I’m extremely concerned, I read somewhere the effects it has on cats and I feel terrible for him.