Taming Feral Kittens

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
E4CBCF42-C1D7-4335-8ADC-B744FF95BD06.jpeg
89D749C7-2718-47E1-9A82-FD6C9FFB5647.jpeg
CCA1841C-0C1C-4E70-B1CB-DE1D6BA05F3C.jpeg
Less than a month ago I took in 5 feral kittens. One we trapped and the other four were rescued by someone else that we picked up so we could take care of them. They’re roughly around 2 months old I would guess. We let them run around the living room when we are in there so they can play and at night or when we’re not home they go in a large dog crate.
It’s only been roughly two weeks but we haven’t made much progress with taming them. I know it typically takes a long time to tame feral cats but I thought kittens adjusted faster. Regardless, I’m looking for some advice? I’ve tried the trick of giving them wet food (which did work for a litter I rescued previously) but since they already have some diarrhea (not as bad now that they’re starting to get comfortable but they haven’t been dewormed yet either) I don’t want to make that worse. I could really use some help, I’d like to find them homes as soon as possible once they’re healthy but if they aren’t tame and socialized I can’t until they are so.
Also another smaller question, they’re litterbox trained but when they are out running around sometimes they’ll use the bathroom on a pillow I have in a cat bed or tonight one pooped on one of our shoes. I keep their litterbox cleaned and do it once or twice a day, so is it just a kitten thing? They know where the litterbox is and all use it except for a few slip ups.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for taking in the kittens. They're adorable. :catlove:

It’s only been roughly two weeks but we haven’t made much progress with taming them.
How do they act around you? Can you touch them? Pick them up? Do they hiss at you?

They know where the litterbox is and all use it except for a few slip ups.
I would suggest putting out some more litter boxes. Even with adult cats, the recommendation is 1 litter box per cat, plus one. So with kittens, the more litter boxes the better, and placements should be the areas where the kittens are likely to be when they have to go potty.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They just need lots of contact with you, even if it is just you sitting in the same room. You might try to get them engaged with a wand, or offer them treats which you leave when you leave the room. They cannot be tamed if they are not around humans a lot and learn that being with humans is pleasurable. They look at that age when they were taught that human were dangerous, and that needs to be changed. No sudden movements, no loud noises. Once one is being petted and played with the others will imitate and follow. work on that one that seems to be a little less afraid first. I have had my best luck by sitting near the feeding bowls and touching them while they eat, they are distracted. They run at first, but soon get used to touch. the biggest hurdle is actually touching/petting one, after that the rest will follow.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for taking in the kittens. They're adorable. :catlove:

How do they act around you? Can you touch them? Pick them up? Do they hiss at you?

I would suggest putting out some more litter boxes. Even with adult cats, the recommendation is 1 litter box per cat, plus one. So with kittens, the more litter boxes the better, and placements should be the areas where the kittens are likely to be when they have to go potty.
We can touch them and pick them up but unless they’ve tired themselves out and are resting they won’t let us touch them. Which makes sense when kittens want to play they don’t want bothered, but they will hiss or scratch if they are scared.

I was thinking putting an extra litterbox or two out and have their two in the cage that will be available at all times, I’ll put the extras where they’ve had accidents!

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
They just need lots of contact with you, even if it is just you sitting in the same room. You might try to get them engaged with a wand, or offer them treats which you leave when you leave the room. They cannot be tamed if they are not around humans a lot and learn that being with humans is pleasurable. They look at that age when they were taught that human were dangerous, and that needs to be changed. No sudden movements, no loud noises. Once one is being petted and played with the others will imitate and follow. work on that one that seems to be a little less afraid first. I have had my best luck by sitting near the feeding bowls and touching them while they eat, they are distracted. They run at first, but soon get used to touch. the biggest hurdle is actually touching/petting one, after that the rest will follow.....
Thanks so much for the advice! My favorite toy to use to play with them is a laser pointer or the wands so I’ll try that! I do have treats so I’ll see if they will want them. I do spend a lot of time in the living room with them since they can climb the baby gates we have up and go into the other rooms which we don’t want.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was thinking putting an extra litterbox or two out and have their two in the cage that will be available at all times, I’ll put the extras where they’ve had accidents!
Sounds good. The "rule" is not to put litter boxes near a cat's food dishes, but that rule can be broken when litter box training of kittens, as sometimes they often need to use the litter box right after eating, so the closer it is to them when they need to go, the better.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. The "rule" is not to put litter boxes near a cat's food dishes, but that rule can be broken when litter box training of kittens, as sometimes they often need to use the litter box right after eating, so the closer it is to them when they need to go, the better.
Since I have to keep them in a cage when I’m not home/at night I keep the boxes and food on opposite sides, so I try my best to work with what I’ve got. Since they are still training they don’t have any accidents in their cage with them being so close together but still do when running around. Thankfully I haven’t noticed anyone not use the litterbox today, though they have preferred to hide under the couch most of the day.