Taming a feral kitten who won't come out of hiding

rissaroo1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last week we trapped one of the feral kittens that have been living in our yard (there is a 2nd one out there somewhere we're still working on catching) and we have been attempting to tame and socialize it. We don't know it's gender yet (I'm using "her" for now) and we estimate she is between 7 and 9 weeks old. I bought a large dog kennel and outfitted it with a litter box, food dish, etc, and started working with her that way.

Unfortunately only a couple days in, either my fiancé or I didn't latch the gate closed properly after feeding. So she got out... The crate was in a small back storage room, so she is still secluded to that part of the apartment. However, it is full of junk. There's lots of nooks and crannies to hide in and boxes to scurry behind.

She will come out to the open area to eat and use the litterbox, but never while one of us is there. We've barely seen her since her escape, she's like a ghost kitty who makes food disappear....

Ive been trying to put the food dish a few feet away from me and just sit and wait quietly until she comes out for the food. But she's so stubborn! I sit on the concrete floor for over an hour at a time but she still won't come out to eat. I've tried multiple different dry foods, wet foods, treats, even baby food but it doesn't make a difference, she'll only eat it when I'm not in the room.

How do I precede from here? I can't forcibly dig her out and put her back in the kennel, that will just make her scared. Moving all the stuff out and causing a ruckus would also scare her. But I usually can't last much more then an hour before I get too sore sitting and waiting that I have to leave.

It's my understanding that getting them to eat in front of you is the first step of building trust. So how do I get to that starting point when I've already lost some control of the situation?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately you are going to have to start digging out the stuff and find her.  As long as she still has food and access to her litter box there is no reason for her to come out.  I would start taking the stuff out bit my bit.  Yes, it will scare her and it might set her back for a day or two, but she really needs to get back into the cage.  Once you have her back inside the cage, I would not put all of the stuff back into the storage area just yet as this could happen again.  Very little progress will be made while she is in hiding.  The key to socializing a feral kitten is to provide them with many opportunities for human interaction.

Once you catch her, this is a great video with some tips.  It starts with the rescue of feral kittens and proceeds to their socialization.

http://www.urbancatleague.org/TamingVideo

Thank you for rescuing her.  Hopefully you can catch the other feral kitten very quickly. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last week we trapped one of the feral kittens that have been living in our yard (there is a 2nd one out there somewhere we're still working on catching) and we have been attempting to tame and socialize it. We don't know it's gender yet (I'm using "her" for now) and we estimate she is between 7 and 9 weeks old. I bought a large dog kennel and outfitted it with a litter box, food dish, etc, and started working with her that way.

Unfortunately only a couple days in, either my fiancé or I didn't latch the gate closed properly after feeding. So she got out... The crate was in a small back storage room, so she is still secluded to that part of the apartment. However, it is full of junk. There's lots of nooks and crannies to hide in and boxes to scurry behind.

She will come out to the open area to eat and use the litterbox, but never while one of us is there. We've barely seen her since her escape, she's like a ghost kitty who makes food disappear....

Ive been trying to put the food dish a few feet away from me and just sit and wait quietly until she comes out for the food. But she's so stubborn! I sit on the concrete floor for over an hour at a time but she still won't come out to eat. I've tried multiple different dry foods, wet foods, treats, even baby food but it doesn't make a difference, she'll only eat it when I'm not in the room.

How do I precede from here? I can't forcibly dig her out and put her back in the kennel, that will just make her scared. Moving all the stuff out and causing a ruckus would also scare her. But I usually can't last much more then an hour before I get too sore sitting and waiting that I have to leave.

It's my understanding that getting them to eat in front of you is the first step of building trust. So how do I get to that starting point when I've already lost some control of the situation?
You could try with talking sweetly and making of a lotsa of friendly noises and sounds.  As a courting tom could, for example.  Much patience.  and of course, you dont need to sit on the Concrete. You can have a cushion with you, or similiar.   Or even a fleece blanket.

Ah, I know, a fleece blanket, full of your smells.  and leave it there. fleece feels alike mommas fur, so with a Little luck she will associate you with a nice feeling.  AND nice sounds...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rissaroo1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing her.  Hopefully you can catch the other feral kitten very quickly. 
We've been trying to catch the other one for a while now but we haven't seen any sign of him... We know there are two, we saw them playing together in the yard through our window.

We caught the mother cat, who was very feral and aggressive. We had her spayed at the humane society and then let her go. First time doing TNR and it was quite the adventure, made some rookie mistakes but we managed it in the end. We also caught a very fat raccoon who barely fit in the trap who pooped all over in it, destroyed the plastic container holding the bait food and riooed towel covering the trap to shreds on his way out.

But we haven't had any 2nd kitten sightings... I'm worried about him. We live very close to a busy freeway...

I'm hoping he's just being clever and cautious after seeing his litter mate get trapped, and hasn't gone off and gotten himself hurt...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rissaroo1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try with talking sweetly and making of a lotsa of friendly noises and sounds.  As a courting tom could, for example.  Much patience.  and of course, you dont need to sit on the Concrete. You can have a cushion with you, or similiar.   Or even a fleece blanket.

Ah, I know, a fleece blanket, full of your smells.  and leave it there. fleece feels alike mommas fur, so with a Little luck she will associate you with a nice feeling.  AND nice sounds...
I do always talk to her when I go in there, and I do bring a pillow to sit on and stuff. Haven't done the fleece blanket but Im trying a similar scent swapping technique. Over a long lazy weekend I wore the same sweat pants and tshirt for 3 days and 2 nights straight without showering, to get them sweaty and smelly. Then I used them to cushion a box to make a little bed that would smell like me. I was hoping to get her used to the smell of people. I don't know if it's helping at all though. I've never seen her in it. Don't really see her at all... She might lay in it when I'm not there but there's no real way to tell.