Talking to your cat

graill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the longest conversation you have had with your Kat?

Recently one of my Korats, Tom, Has taken to jumping on my lap and starting a conversation that will last between 2 to 5 minutes while i perform the obligatory petting and scatching on his tummy. My other Korat, Jerry jumps up after Tom does, gives me a sharp, quick "Mah!" then jumps down and the two begin playing. Jerry will not talk nearly as much but does so on accasion. Unfortunately for me i have allowed Tom to get used to his training me in this and now when he wants to talk and i ignore him it sounds like an episode of Family Guy when stewy stands next to a sleeping Lois and repeats "Mommy" a hundred times until he gets the attention he wants. Sigh. Its all fun.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 story tellers. 
 Well one is actually like a town crier. San will meow when it is time for meals or treats. If I ask him "is it already lunchtime?" or "it's too early for treats" he will reply. The other one, Panda, is a kitten. She meows when I carry her, or pet her or when she wants to play, or when she can't join her brother and sister at wrestling, or if I am within her sights. She'll definitely grow up to be a talker. 

jessp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I talk to my two girls, Piper and Pepper, all the time - they especially love to greet people us at the door and talk about how their day has been lol. Anytime I ask "Want a treat?" they immediately start meowing their "of course, Mom!"s :)

Last edited:

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my two boys know

"you hungry , you want to eat"

"you want a snack"

"you want a treat" (catnip)

"you want brush brush" (thats obvious)

"go see" ( that means theres something outside, a bird, a chipmunk or a squirrel that they arent aware of)

"be nice" ( thats for when they are play fighting and its getting to rough or when I am playing with the younger one with the front claws and he gets over rambuncious) did I spell that wrong?

"want to go outside" ( both are indoor cats only and that means going out in the garage)

"NO" they both know this one every time they hear it..

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have conversations with each of mine every day!  They know and understand a lot of things and phrases.  Of course, they know their names and respond by meowing back... But they answer questions, too.  I will say something like "Do you want lovin's?"  or "Do you think you need to be fed?"  or "What's on your mind?" 

The first two it's so cool, they will not only meow but give the appropriate response to both!  For, "Do you want lovin's?"  they will meow as a reply and jump onto my lap and rub against me to initiate petting.  For "Do you think you need to be fed?"  They will go to the cabinet I keep the food in and stand up and paw at it! 

For "What's on your mind?"  They will just meow to their hearts content!  They know other phrases, too... But these are just some examples.  I believe in being vocal with them and that it helps with the bond plus it shows them respect and love.

amcm74

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband's cat is a talker. he holds conversations with people walking past the house. 

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ramsey is a real talker if I initiate it.  If I ask him to "sing" he will start meowing in a high pitched yowl and sings along with me.   We'll do this for quite awhile, especially in the mornings.  Hoot is real gabby.  She chatters off and on about all day and it could be for any reason.  Anytime there is anything going on she feels the need to be involved and give her 2cents.  The other 2 are pretty quiet but 'Bitz is vocal when she wants attention.