Talking about blood

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I went to the grocery store the other day and I found hunks of pork blood. Yes, just plain ol' pork's blood. In tubs. 

I've been thinking about adding some of this blood to her meals kinda like how canned food will have gravy. Does anyone know if you can over-dose on nutrients by doing this? If not, I have a feeling she's gonna love it. 

I'm going back to the grocery store next week, so if anyone has any sorta input I'd appreciate it a lot.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a really interesting question! I think blood is high in iron, but I really have no idea what the nutrient profile of just blood is. I do know my cat loves it. She will always lap up the bloody juice first. I will do some research if no one else responds soon. I wonder if blood is listed in the USDA database???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the speedy response! I checked (did a quick search for "pork blood") but I only found blood sausages...

Also, what if I say, simmer it for a bit? I wonder if that'll do anything? Probably won't do it, but I'm just curious really.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simmering it won't do anything to the minerals but may do something to any amino acids present. Why would you simmer it, to make it more gravy like? I am actually looking for a healthy gravy alternative myself. Blood is good, but sometimes my cat just laps the blood and leaves the meat behind (kind of how she is with gravy too!).

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, to make it thicker would be the only reason I'd simmer it. 

I actually made some diluted pate canned food that I would use as a "gravy" on occasion. I'd love to use the blood though, I sometimes "gravy up" her ground mixes with water but I think she knows it's just water... Haha.

Oh and another thought- Maybe I will try making gravy using baked chicken puree'd. Sorta like baby food? Hmmm... But blood... :9

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did find a nutrition data sheet for lamb blood. Per 100 gram serving, 75 calories (3% from fat), 17 grams of protein.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Now I'd need to consider the iron content. I wouldn't want my cat (or anyone's cat for that matter) to go through iron toxicity. Hope others can chime in!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, there were a lot of Filipino families on our block. They cooked pig's blood pretty frequently, I'm not sure what they made with it, BUT. . .cooking blood stinks. Bad. Like a dirty dog. A really really dirty dog, LOL. Just fair warning :D.

I have also heard that blood is fairly rich and too much may make them throw up (the reddish liquid with meat is not blood, just "meat juice"). I would not want to clean up blood barf :lol3:.

Last edited:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. Dirty dog smell, eh! It's something I'm used to. 
 I knew the red liquid from the ground mixes are just "meat juice", but if blood is too rich and if Lox's gonna puke maybe I will not do blood. I wonder if I can thin it out with water? In that case I won't simmer it at all.

How does the smell compare to tripe?

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good question.  I let Ritz lick the styrofoam plates that come with the raw food from the grocery store--she loves it.  I wonder about feeding cats/Ritz the excess juice (blood?) that comes with packages of chicken LIVER.  How much of that is blood, how much is water?  I wouldn't consider mixing it with water and leaving it out in her water bowl, I would think it would spoil fairly quickly.

I don't know how blood/cooked blood compares to tripe, but personally I didn't find tripe to have a horrible smell.  I wouldn't want to wear it as perfume, but it didn't smell as bad as I thought it would.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To give more options for those who are looking for a healthy alternative to gravy (blood or not) here are some additional things I've tried:

- Pulverized freeze-dried treats or raw food with added water

- Stock made from bonito flakes (fish though, ugh.)

- Taking cans of Tiki Cat and creating a puree (fish again, ugh.)

- Said puree whipped with egg yolks

Things to try:

- Making broth out of chicken feet, or any body part with lots of collagen

- Collagen jelly