Talkative Cat

cheap sushi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He hates closed doors. HATES them! He will sit next to the door and MEEEEEEEow.

Drives me freakin nuts!!!!

Should I just ignore him?

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, that's pretty much all you CAN do. My Imhotep is very much the same way although he has gotten much better over the years. When he first came home he drove me INSANE. He'll still do it if I'm in the bathtub or if he think I've slept in enough.

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG - that's Geroge. If he thinks there's been enough sleeping - he will walk around meowing at the top of his little lungs until you get up. He will usually stop when you tell him to 'stop' at 4am -but if it's past 7am and he wants company you better get up - he won't stop meowing UNTIL you get up. Then he gets mad, runs up and down the hallway doing 'donkey kicks' so you know for sure he's unhappy that he's the only one awake.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you open the door now he will believe that you actually want him to MEEEow like that.

If you are able to catch him being quiet by the door make sure you give him some good attention or a treat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

No, you should just leave all the doors open, that is what I do

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like my bathroom doors closed, thank you very much!

Mine cluster around shut doors and meow at DH or I if we're on the other side. Sherman chrips, Blaan howls, and Tanna is somehow convinced that she can reach me if she tries hard enough.

I just ignore them.

melissaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just ignore him, or "talk back" to him
Libby is a chatty girl, she talks to us almost constantly. If I don't "talk back" to her or acknowledge her in some way then her "chatting" turns into more of a "pay attention to me" whine

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cheap Sushi

So Zephyer isnt insane then huh?
Nope, completely normal - you should hear mine if we shut them out of the bedroom, chorus of crybabies!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

I like my bathroom doors closed, thank you very much!
Mine spend a lot of time in the bathroom and are usually already in there if we go in, so they get shut in with us

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Mine spend a lot of time in the bathroom and are usually already in there if we go in, so they get shut in with us
We keep the bathroom doors shut and don't let the cats in there. The kittens try to lick the soap, get in the trash, and Sherman LOVES to unroll and shred toilet paper.

Plus DH learned why you don't let the cats in the bathroom with you while you pee...

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie hates doors closed, especially the one into the kitchen and the conservatory.

Now bearing in mind the conservatory door is alarmed, so i have to unset it, then unlock it just so she can go in for a look around which she'll only take 2 minutes doing. In the summer it's fine because we sit in it most of the time, but in the winter we don't.

Here she is...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture310.flv

mazobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a beautiful pewter longhair moggie for 20 years who never shut up except for when he was asleep or eating. He had a Siamese great-grandmother. You get so you tune it out after awhile. I will miss London forever

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Plus DH learned why you don't let the cats in the bathroom with you while you pee...
Was he scratched or bitten?... Nevermind TMI...

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We keep the bathroom doors shut and don't let the cats in there. The kittens try to lick the soap, get in the trash, and Sherman LOVES to unroll and shred toilet paper.

By boss also learned that lesson
I should have made him wash him
but they don't do that with us, they usually just jump in the tub and sit there.

Mine don't touch soap, but Quincy went through quite a few toilet paper rolls and used to be able to turn on the taps (we got new ones that were harder for him).