Taking your furbaby away with you

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever taken their cat on holiday with them?

I had a peculiar discussion – and wondered what my fellow cat lovers do in this situation?

I have a boyfriend, and I stay at his house occasionally. He has a good size ground floor flat.

I always worry about leaving Roxy behind overnight. I live in a shared house, with two guys. Hence, me and my b/f prefer to go to his flat.

A friend of mine used to take her 3 cats to her father in laws for Christmas, for 3 days, and they lived 3 hours away. The cats were fine.

My b/f lives 11 minutes from me in the car.

Roxy is quite a calm cat, when we moved house, within 30 minutes of me bringing her in and her establishing that her belongings were around her she was happy, she found a cosy spot to chill out in.

I was wondering about the feasibility of taking her with me to my b/fâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s for a few days?

Has anyone ever done anything similar?

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is sort of the same- I am house sitting for a coworker, and had to bring the three kittens and a dog with me (on top of her 4 dogs, 4 cats, 4 horses, 2 goats...good time!) I just packed up all the kittens stuff, and they are happy as can be.
I would imagine that as long as she knows where her litter box/toys are that she would be content. You could always try it once and see how she takes it, and go from there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
yes I'd have to see how she goes. My b/f doesn't have any pets btw.

linni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We take our cat Cappy everywhere. He's used to his walking jacket now, and barely makes a move when we put it on him. We're going to be gone for a month on our sailboat in July, and he'll come with us. In fact, right now my husband is at our boat working on it with the cat, and I'm home. I think our cat is happy wherever we are.

lin

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Linni

We take our cat Cappy everywhere. He's used to his walking jacket now, and barely makes a move when we put it on him. We're going to be gone for a month on our sailboat in July, and he'll come with us. In fact, right now my husband is at our boat working on it with the cat, and I'm home. I think our cat is happy wherever we are.

lin
This is amazing!
Thank you!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it totally depends on the cat. My cats would be happier at home with each other, I know. They aren't very well socialized and are not used to change. When we moved, they spent the whole first night in the bedroom hiding under the bed. And then for a few days they would growl anytime they heard a noise from the outside hallway.

However, I have a friend who always takes her cat to her parents with her when she goes and visits on the weekends. She goes quite frequently and apparently loves visiting, because they have another cat who he plays with!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

I think it totally depends on the cat. My cats would be happier at home with each other, I know. They aren't very well socialized and are not used to change. When we moved, they spent the whole first night in the bedroom hiding under the bed. And then for a few days they would growl anytime they heard a noise from the outside hallway.

However, I have a friend who always takes her cat to her parents with her when she goes and visits on the weekends. She goes quite frequently and apparently loves visiting, because they have another cat who he plays with!
It sounds like your kitty would do well with the visits. And the more often you do it the better adjusted she will be. I would much prefer, if I was in your situation with an adaptable cat, to take her with me rather than leave her with room mates.

let us know how it goes, okay?

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, I took Roxy to stay at my bf's house last night, she wasn't very happy about going in the car, but that was only ten minutes.

When we got inside his flat she walked straight out of her basket and had a good nosy round everywhere!

She ate her dinner, and fell asleep on the sofa!

I brought her back this morning, again she complained a bit in the car, but otherwise she was fine.