Taking on and off cat harness

emu the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been training my cat to put on her harness and it's been going pretty well. I've done positive associations with treats to get her to sniff the harness and be interested, and she's been desensitized to the harness being laid on her back. Now I'm trying to train her to put the harness neck strap over her head. So far she's been ok about putting it on, but whenever I try to slide it off she growls and backs away from me. Even though she used to like the harness, she won't even take treats laid down on the harness anymore. Is there a way to desensitize her to taking the harness off?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

I'm wondering if maybe a different style might be easier to remove? For her to growl about it makes me think it might be snagging her fur and pulling it, or maybe catching sensitive skin on her chest or little armpit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emu the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

I'm wondering if maybe a different style might be easier to remove? For her to growl about it makes me think it might be snagging her fur and pulling it, or maybe catching sensitive skin on her chest or little armpit?
Hi, thank you for replying! I actually really wanted to get a step in harness, but the ones I found didn't fit her well. She isn't actually too annoyed when it's fully clipped on, she only growls when I try to pull the neckpiece over the head to take it off (even though she's fine putting it on).

emu the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what I was thinking of, or maybe it's pinching her ears...?
The neckpiece is loose so it's not pinching her head a lot, but you're right, I think the pressure on her ears might be freaking her out. Maybe she just needs more time to adjust or I need to try another step in harness. Thank you!

emu the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been a few days, and I think that she only growled because she became frustrated with having it on too long. So I took a step back and only kept the neck piece on for a few seconds before taking it off and she was fine with it! Now she lets me put the harness on for longer spans of time but she's not very comfortable with walking yet. It might take a couple of months, but hopefully she'll get used to the harness!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
My boy was quite unconvinced for a little while at first too, but we got it. Thanks so much for your update, you're doing really well! Let us know how things progress :)!