Taking Off Cat Collar

LoveIgor18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've recently adopted a 7 month old male kitten. The collar that is already on the cat seems too tight and is not a breakaway collar. I want to take off his old collar so I can put on a new breakaway collar on him.
Igor is a very affectionate cat and likes to crawl onto me and loves being petted. However, anytime I tried touching his collar at all, he gets really spooked. I understand why he would be, but I wish I can take it off as it might be a safety concern for him to have this type of collar on. The last thing I want is for his collar to get caught onto something and choke him :( Any sort of suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Collars are a two person operation in my house. Usually one to hold the cat and one to remove, put on or adjust. You might be able to loosen it some while he is sleeping or take it off entirely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LoveIgor18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he have a vet appointment coming up? Maybe the vet or tech could do it.
I currently do not have plans on taking him to a vet. Just got him 3 days ago and the adoption center said he just had a full checkup and vaccines done.
Is this something cat owners would typically look to a vet to get done?

LoveIgor18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Collars are a two person operation in my house. Usually one to hold the cat and one to remove, put on or adjust. You might be able to loosen it some while he is sleeping or take it off entirely.
That makes sense. Do you have tips on holding the kitten still? I've been trying to put my arms around him while he's on my lap and he slips out so easily... This cat is pretty much fluid haha

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That makes sense. Do you have tips on holding the kitten still? I've been trying to put my arms around him while he's on my lap and he slips out so easily... This cat is pretty much fluid haha
With my girl any collar or flea medication is done when she is completely passed out. Sometimes she wakes up, but usually she doesn't. As long as you have slow motions and your cat is dead to the world asleep it can work.

If you are alone, sit on the floor with your legs together under you. Lift up your body to create a small space between your legs and body. The cat goes in that space. You can do a towel across the front of your cat held with one hand or hold your cats chest with one hand. That leaves you one hand to work with, this is more a medication hold but could work for a collar if you have enough hand dextrity.

If you have two people, usually the holder in my house holds the hind paws in one hand and front paws in the other. With the cat upright and facing outward they don't have much to work with to get away. If you hold the cat against your body firmly they can't squirm too much.

LoveIgor18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With my girl any collar or flea medication is done when she is completely passed out. Sometimes she wakes up, but usually she doesn't. As long as you have slow motions and your cat is dead to the world asleep it can work.

If you are alone, sit on the floor with your legs together under you. Lift up your body to create a small space between your legs and body. The cat goes in that space. You can do a towel across the front of your cat held with one hand or hold your cats chest with one hand. That leaves you one hand to work with, this is more a medication hold but could work for a collar if you have enough hand dextrity.

If you have two people, usually the holder in my house holds the hind paws in one hand and front paws in the other. With the cat upright and facing outward they don't have much to work with to get away. If you hold the cat against your body firmly they can't squirm too much.
I'll try this when my husband gets home. Thank you so much!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll try this when my husband gets home. Thank you so much!
Whoever is holding can wear gardening gloves or wrap hands in a towel for the first time. My cats are well trained not to scratch so we don't have a problem there. But if your cat isn't as good it is a good safety measure to make sure no humans are harmed.

LoveIgor18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whoever is holding can wear gardening gloves or wrap hands in a towel for the first time. My cats are well trained not to scratch so we don't have a problem there. But if your cat isn't as good it is a good safety measure to make sure no humans are harmed.
Igor was nappy on my lap this afternoon and I took a shot. I got it off! It turned out that the collar was elastic too and I'm super happy it's now off. Thank you :)