Taking my stray to the Groomer for the 1st Time

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
and I need some tips.
First: taking him to the vet groomer in case he requires anesthesia. I'm to cut off his food and water after midnight, the appointment is for 7:30 a.m.

Second: I'm not sure what to ask for. I don't think I want him all shaved, just mostly the mats removed.

I could have handled some of the mats - but he has some serious ones in his britches with something trapped inside of the mat and there's no way he'll let me close. And there are other mats on his underside between his legs and his body. UGH!

I guess I've been using the wrong kind of brush on him (there's so much to learn and so little time), but in any case I wouldn't venture anywhere he tells me NO (he growls at me, and I believe that to be a NO!)

This is going to cost me mega bucks, but I can't stand seeing him suffer - he even sort of cries a little when he's trying to get his back cleaned off.

We're in the desert where temps will start to increase soon so getting him shaved will help him get through the hot season - but he will be outside until then and the temps are still in the high 40's at night.

I don't want his fancy tail shaved, but what about his mane - I believe I can keep that cleaned up, but don't want him to look bad, uneven, either.

Last: I wonder how the other outside (semi-ferals) cats will accept him once I get him back from grooming.

Any clues or tips will be appreciated.

This is Gray:
and, he has a son that looks exactly like him, so, I'm trying to brush him when ever he'll allow, which isn't often - I see trapping in his future unless I'm successful grooming him myself.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can ask for a "lion cut," which will leave fluffy paws, end of tail, head and mane.

But first of all you need a "sanitary shave." That will cut the mats off his back end.

You really need to comb him, not brush him. A brush can make mats worse. If you do it on a daily basis, it never gets bad.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes and when you get back from the groomer, just put a touch of vanilla under the chin, on top of head and at base of tail on all cats. That way, they will all smell the same and will not fight with each other.

I also agree with using a comb for long haired kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I would have known about the correct tool to brush him with before, maybe we wouldn't be in such trouble now?

He loves his cheeks and chin brushed - so I got one of my old brushes and used that on him. Now that I know that was the wrong thing to use I'll go buy a wire brush - I think I read here that I should get one that has the slightly curved ends. I'm now, temporarily, using a comb, but it doesn't do the trick.

When I called the vet, about grooming, Gray was complaining about the mats and seemed to be very sensitive to the touch, especially on his back, close to his tail. He's doing much better now so I began to wonder if it was worth the $$ to take him. But, the hot, hot (115-120 degree) weather is going to be here, and he'll be a lot cooler with the fur gone - and I'll need every advantage in order to help him from over heating - so the $$ is worth it just for that.

Okay, a lion cut, and a sanitary shave - sounds good - I hope the other cats won't run when they see him - he won't understand, I'm sure.

Thank you!
g

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Yes and when you get back from the groomer, just put a touch of vanilla under the chin, on top of head and at base of tail on all cats. That way, they will all smell the same and will not fight with each other.

I also agree with using a comb for long haired kitties.
Thank you. But, I have a problem in that the other cats are feral - well, less feral than a year ago, anyway. Gray was a stray and I was able to befriend him. The others have been watching him come to me, etc., I hope they're learning that I'm safe ... BUT --- of course there's no way I'm going to be able to touch them to make him smell like them.

Thanks for the idea, though - I think I'll get one of their towels that they sleep on and rub him with it - hate to do that because he'll be all clean. Wish I could keep him inside, but there seems to be too many obstacles that wouldn't permit that to happen. Besides, his "wife" and "babies" would be looking for him to come protect them.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Gray gave me no problems when I brought him inside so I could monitor his food and water intake. Again, no problems (no whining) when I closed him up in the laundry room and went to bed.

This morning, again, no problem - he just walked into the carrier like he's been doing it all his life. Answer to prayer.

VET VISIT: This is the first time he's been there. He was due for his 1-yr. rabies (previously given when he was neutered for free), and then there's the tests for other diseases, vaccines, anesthesia, etc. all to equal almost $500.00 !!!

After I got back up off the floor because I fainted, the vet then became more reasonable - the groomer will clip his nails, and give him some valium (for her protection and his stress), then attempt to get out all the mats they can and give him a sanitary cut. That got the cost down a little over $200.00. The vet will call in a couple of hours to let me know if they need to put him under.

I'm still using the smelling salts on my husband.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$500 is a little expensive, last time I took mine in for vaccines, it was under $100 and the grooming for Magnum was $45 and my vet is expensive - I don't have testing done on ferals/strays. The vet always clips claws if a cat is sedated for anything.

Hopefully he doesnt need anethesia

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

$500 is a little expensive, last time I took mine in for vaccines, it was under $100 and the grooming for Magnum was $45 and my vet is expensive - I don't have testing done on ferals/strays. The vet always clips claws if a cat is sedated for anything.

Hopefully he doesnt need anethesia
When I posted this thread I was trying to get ahead of the 8-ball by asking questions (here) before I took him for the grooming.

It would have been an advantage to have known to try and get them to NOT test for the FIV test.

I knew that if he was going to be given vaccines, that they'd want to test for leukemia before giving him that vaccine.

I knew the rabies was due, that cost was a no brainer.

When I asked about other costs I was led to believe that all the vaccines were required before he was groomed.

This requirement didn't make too much sense - kinda like closing the barn door after the horses had escaped - but I didn't ask the question I needed to ask.

I don't think asking questions about the vaccines would have made a difference - if I wanted him groomed I would probably need to comply.?

I thought, maybe, the requirements had to conform with their policies of boarding animals - so, I didn't ask about the need for the vaccines after asking two times and getting basically the same answer - it just seemed the way the Vet did things.

I was so relieved that they would even take a former stray that I didn't know how much I could assert in order to still be able to get him groomed. That's what we inexperienced folks do, we comply because we don't know better. Knowledge is power, and I had no knowledge.

They didn't have to use anesthesia, but using only the valium didn't work - the vet gave him something else, and a "tiny" bit of gas - the names of what she used escape me.

They didn't shave him, but gave him a little sanitary cut, and then took out all the mats. The vet said that he would need his fur to insulate from the desert heat. ?? (I always hear conflicting info on the fur and one day I'll research that, too.)

They managed to get the bill down - the vet didn't charge me for a first time visit, but a decreased charge just for pre-exam prior to the grooming. That was $53.00. Then there was the FeLV/FIV Test - $76.45, the vaccines of FeLV- $23.95, Sedation- $84.15, De-Matting per 15 min. - $40.00, with a grand total of $306.49.

NOW, that wasn't the KICKER ... and it should have been ... the Snap Test for FIV gave a positive result!

She told me several things.
1 -He is healthy now.

2-The test may not be accurate - I could spend another $200 for a "real" test. ("real" my word)

3-I would have to keep him inside so he couldn't spread the virus to other cats if he got into a biting fight.

4-Since we already have 3 cats inside - maybe I could find someone without cats to take him to live indoors.

Gray is a wonderful cat - but ... I think it would be hard to re-home him.

So, here I am - now - in a dilemma. I have the other cats temporarily stowed away in my bedroom and Gray is laying here with me. He even let me rub his tummy today - stretched out so I could rub it more. At the very least, I am getting to know him a little more now that he's inside. He's being a perfect little boy.

He's resting a lot, maybe his body is busy with all the rabies and FVRCP vaccines he received less than 24 hours ago ??

Later, I'll put him back into the laundry room and let the other cats out. For now, I'm punting until I figure out how we're going to manage this.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

They didn't shave him, but gave him a little sanitary cut, and then took out all the mats. The vet said that he would need his fur to insulate from the desert heat. ?? (I always hear conflicting info on the fur and one day I'll research that, too.)
If it's like shearing sheep, you're supposed to leave a little on so the sun doesn't get directly onto their skin, to keep them from getting nasty sunburns.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SNAP tests are not reliable, IMO, we have had cats test negative and show positive with signs of illness just weeks later with no possible exposure and then positive tests that showed negative when retested just hours later.

Vaccines can make them sleepy/calmer while their bodies react to it

I dont give the feLV or FIV vaccines as they will test positive if tested later without being sick and with most people and shelters, be euthanised as a result.

I am glad my vet is very into people being informed and gives several options for treatment of anything as well as vaccines. She even wrote me a letter after Scully's cancer lump was found to say that he should not have further vaccines including rabies due to an increased risk of VAS - but she is a cat only vet and really does it for the love of animals.

I always leave with a load of information, and she respects my decision if I disagree with her because my research has shown alternative options - she even asked me to leave the info I found once so she could use it for someone else with a cat with the same issue.

But some vets are so strict in this is what we are doing and how we are doing it, and I know it can be a pain to find a vet to work with a former feral. Mine doesnt mind my ferals but pretends to quake in her boots when I book an appointment for Magnum (he loves going to the groomer but is less than happy at the vets)