Taking Forever To Eat

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I don't know if this is behavioral, medical or just madness. Three of my cats are siblings I have had since birth. For the last 5 years the have eaten together in their self designated spots. They get canned for breakfast and dinner, then a little dry before bed. Well, for the last few days one of them is being a real pain. He is eating about 1/4 of the food, then walking away. So I move the food over to him, he eats a little more, moves again, I move the food again. Usually needing to add some fortiflora to speed thing a along. Sometimes I am moving the bowl 4,5, 6 times before he finishes it. And he does finish eventually. Also, I am sure it isn't the food itself as I rotate different foods at each meal. So really whay are the odds he got sick of 5 different foods all at the same time. I cant just leave the food down for him and go about my business since i have other cats, 5 in total, that would surely eat it. It is particularly stressful in the morning as I only have so much time since I work. I have started getting up 15 mins earlier to have time to deal with this. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought would be that something in his mouth is bothering him. It could be a dental issue. Also any chance he is not feeling well?

I have 3 indoor cats that I completely separate when eating since all of them eat at different speeds. I have one cat in particular that is a very slow eater. I have him in a room of his own with a baby gate so the other cats cannot get inside. This allows him plenty of time to eat his meal in peace.

If this behavior continues, I would suggest a vet visit since the cat is doing this with all of his foods. Cats are masters at hiding their pain. A change in eating can be a sign that something is amiss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He seems to eat his dry meal normally, just issues with the wet. Still I haven't thought about a mouth or tooth issue. He is acting normal otherwise. Of all my cats, I hate that it is this one. He has idiopathic cystitis and stress causes flare ups, but I agree with your statement if it continues I will chance the stress and get him to the vet. Especially since there is no way he would let me check in his mouth. I will give it a couple days then take it from there. Thanks alot for your input, I appreciate it.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With stress, you just never know what goes through their mind. Have you ever tried any Feliway diffusers or Composure calming treats? I use both with my cats and notice a huge difference. I love the Composure liquid Max as it can be mixed into food. Yet if he is not eating wet food it would be difficult. Some cats do not like the treats. They can be kind of chewy, but if you can get him to take them, they usually do work with stress. Also Rescue Remedy for Pets is a great flower essence that can be added to water bowls, spritzed around the room, or placed directly on the fur. You can take a look at Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences. He has lots for stress. They take a bit of time (2-6 weeks) to work as they work subtly, but they do work well.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have tried feliaway with no success. I will look into the other items you mentioned. He does finish his wet food, it just takes longer than normal. I am stressing about there being something wrong in his mouth. I pray he is just going through a goofy phase. But again, I will give it a couple days and if I see no improvement it's off to the vet.

Last edited:

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and thanks again. My stress is evidently making me forget my manners. Sorry!!!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will. Thank you.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a relief!!! So, being the worrier that I am, I decided not to wait. Timmy went to the vet this morning. He had a thorough exam and it looks like he received a bite from an insect on the area under his tongue. (I am in NW Ohio, so nothing particularly dangerous here). Vet said it was not bad, not infected, nothing like that. Also not too shocking since I have stopped him from eating a bug and spider or two in the past. She said his mouth and teeth are in otherwise good health. YAY!!! He got Benadryl and an antibiotic and the vet said we should see an improvement in his eating in a couple days. He has probably been itchy and sore from the bite. She is going to call to check up on him Saturday. I am SO INCREDIBLY RELIEVED!!!

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep us updated. I hope that is is just a phase.
Luckily this turned out ok, but I really want to give you a BIG thanks for pointing me in the direction of the problem potentially being with Timmy's mouth or teeth. I feel kind of stupid having not thought of it myself. Timmy is such an oddball of a cat, I really thought it possible this was just some silly phase he was going through. He is such a little weirdo that it would have been highly possible! But a visit to the vet turned out to be what was in order and I just really want to say thanks so much to you!
:lovecat3:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad that it turned out to be nothing serious. The big bite should heal quickly and I am sure he will be back to his old self soon! You can now rest with ease.

I am in Ohio too, yet Central Ohio.

kittensx4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad that it turned out to be nothing serious. The big bite should heal quickly and I am sure he will be back to his old self soon! You can now rest with ease.

I am in Ohio too, yet Central Ohio.
Small world!!!