Taking Care of A Cat With A Super Large Incision (graphic pictures)

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I run a special needs cat rescue that does a ton of rehabilitation. I am a certified veterinary technician but I see and learn new things every single day.I have never been part of a rehabilitation case that has needed this big of an incision line. The veterinarian that surrendered him to us originally used the wrong type of suture pattern so we had to have it redone at our veterinarian who used a tension relieving suture pattern. It is day 9 and I notice a seroma is building up - verified by my veterinarian who I sent a picture to since it is Saturday.

He said it is not a big deal and to continue giving clindamycin, hot packing, and leaving the e collar on. The way he explained it to me is that all of the fluid has to drain out somewhere due to a large amount of skin and fat involved in the surgery. The body tries to fill the empty space with fluid which can then come out like a geyser. We originally had a drain in for 10 days from the previous veterinarian, but our veterinarian took it out since it was in a bad spot and was not holding up the best. He said to allow the rest of the drainage to come out through the hole left from pulling it out.

Our veterinarian is amazing and I trust him wholeheartedly since we have saved hundreds of cats together, but I get very emotionally invested and I love seeing personal experience and people who have been through this kind of seroma reaction before. Obviously it is not tremendously bad as we can just have that small suture spot redone if needed rather than the whole thing.

The first picture is day one, the second picture is day two. Looking like the incision line is still holding at least, and it is only that part that looks gross. It is not infected as there is no pus from what I can see or smell. Mostly serous fluid from the seroma.

84720823_481182869194873_3906706504459223040_n-768x578.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I run a special needs cat rescue that does a ton of rehabilitation. I am a certified veterinary technician but I see and learn new things every single day.I have never been part of a rehabilitation case that has needed this big of an incision line. The veterinarian that surrendered him to us originally used the wrong type of suture pattern so we had to have it redone at our veterinarian who used a tension relieving suture pattern. It is day 9 and I notice a seroma is building up - verified by my veterinarian who I sent a picture to since it is Saturday.

He said it is not a big deal and to continue giving clindamycin, hot packing, and leaving the e collar on. The way he explained it to me is that all of the fluid has to drain out somewhere due to a large amount of skin and fat involved in the surgery. The body tries to fill the empty space with fluid which can then come out like a geyser. We originally had a drain in for 10 days from the previous veterinarian, but our veterinarian took it out since it was in a bad spot and was not holding up the best. He said to allow the rest of the drainage to come out through the hole left from pulling it out.

Our veterinarian is amazing and I trust him wholeheartedly since we have saved hundreds of cats together, but I get very emotionally invested and I love seeing personal experience and people who have been through this kind of seroma reaction before. Obviously it is not tremendously bad as we can just have that small suture spot redone if needed rather than the whole thing.

The first picture is day one, the second picture is day two. Looking like the incision line is still holding at least, and it is only that part that looks gross. It is not infected as there is no pus from what I can see or smell. Mostly serous fluid from the seroma.

View attachment 322581

View attachment 322582
Correction the second picture is day nine (today)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am no help, but wanted to jump in and say thank you for helping this kitty and tending to him. What did your vet say regarding the seroma? Does the kitty wear a cone?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good heavens! I have to say, for such a catastrophic procedure, that incision looks remarkably clean to me! Other than that little bit of serum weeping, it looks great! You can take care of my cat any time!